The fault in our feeds

The fault in our feeds

Ceila Bergman

Ceila Bergman

Ceila Bergman

Malcia Greene, entertainment editor

Timeline, timeline as I read, who’s the most basic on my screen?

With social media right at our fingertips, it feels crucial for some to maintain an aesthetically pleasing feed. Portraying yourself as a spunky individual on the beloved Instagram app has proven to be just one popular way to enlighten oneself while version of venturing into the world of ingenuity. Others feel as though keeping up with the trends of today is rather foolish in a society graced by temporary satisfaction.

According to Rose Garr, junior at the University of Missouri, creatively expressing herself through editing photos makes for a unique form of fun, but also separates her from her peers who focus primarily on their followers’ reactions. Her focus stems from the belief of allowing herself to construct a happy-go-lucky theme.

“Keeping my pictures really colorful with stickers and drawings is just one way I can get artistic,” Garr said. “My photos may seem like they’ve been taken from film cameras, but in reality it’s just how iPhones provide us with an abundance of ways to edit.”

Bright and bubbly themes are consistently fueling feeds through apps such as You Doodle and PicsArt used to design striking portraits. Similar to the feature on Instagram stories, Garr uses the coloring feature to draw over her filter and give it a pop of life. PicsArt provides a variety of stickers allowing users to paste onto the filter for a hint of nonchalant playfulness.

While the popular culture of VSCO maintains its status, users are consistently put on a pedestal. Other students such as Sam Priestley, junior, prefer a gritty array of photos to highlight the dreary surroundings of society. Using software programs to edit such as Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom, Priestley said he feels shading and contrasting encompasses an image in its finest form.

“Using advanced software allows my pictures to have more meaning in terms of depth,” Priestley said. “The finished product creates a more visually appealing product, but it also livens up my feed.”

Priestley’s passion for photography has guided him to other photographers, where he is able to study the diverse work of influencers around him via Instagram and YouTube. As an endeavor of photo taking, this makes the process of editing enjoyable for Priestley.

“While I understand a lot of people may believe I over edit my photos, I’m trying to stray away [from] conforming to the majority of what’s seen online today,” Priestley said. “My style is what makes my work unique.”

Similar to Priestley, Sami Radman, junior, dedicates time and careful thought into each picture she uploads to Instagram. Honing in on brightening hues to illuminate saturation causes tones to make all the difference in Radman’s feed. Among so, she values how each image carries a message through digital art.

“I like that you can control the mood behind it because if I want a picture to look sad and dreary, then I can do that,” Radman said. “Then again, if I want it to look happy and bubbly, then that’s always an option.”

In hindsight, it may just look like the C1 filter became chosen by tapping through each filter, but far more thought is put into this hand-crafted masterpieces displayed for the Gram. Some care more about their appearance and overall profile and only post at a certain time of the day or edit their faces before posting.

“I think people need to take [it] down a little bit because the main point of seeing the picture is the picture itself,” Radman said. “Too much emphasis is put on how a picture is edited and all that does is add a little bit to it.”

While these three users may have separate ideas of what creates an aesthetically pleasing feed, it all comes down to one’s personal editing process. The content may seem less valuable than the amount of contrast in the end, but don’t stress. It’s all up to you. Hey, why not start completely new?

“Once you find kind of a style you like, stick with it for however long you want to,” Garr said. “I don’t think keeping an aesthetic is that important as people make it out to be.”

Malcia Greene, entertainment editor

Interests: Paris Hilton, admiring fashion trends from the early 2000s, online shopping for things I can't afford
Favorite food: Cream puffs, crab and...