Secrets in the Sauce spills the beans

Shhhhh. It’s a secret. But it’s a secret open to all students and faculty for almost 10 years now.

Secrets in the Sauce, the KHS literary magazine, is celebrating its 10th year as a publication.  Secrets in the Sauce’s two student editors are Sierra Horton, senior, and Emma Stephenson, junior.

“As junior editor, my goal is to establish a reputation for Secrets in the Sauce because right now, its reputation is ‘What is that?’” Emma said.

Secrets in the Sauce accepts submissions for writing, photography, art and poetry from any student or faculty member.

“[Secrets in the Sauce] provides an artistic outlet for students and staff,” Molly Stephenson, one of two advisers, said.

Stephenson and Lara Embree, co-adviser, bounce ideas off each other and take turns with different responsibilities, Molly said.

Until winter break, Secrets in the Sauce staff accepts   submissions for the magazine, and in January, they go through each one and decide which submissions they want to place in the magazine. Each piece is anonymous until it is published to rule out any biased opinions.

“It’s a full-year process,” Molly said. “We spend most of January reviewing what we have gotten.”

Last year, Secrets in the Sauce had a total of eight staff members, and this year they are hoping to have more to produce the 10th edition.

“I’m impressed every single year with what they accomplish on a shoe-string budget and often a very small staff who are also extremely involved in other things,” Molly said.

At the second meeting Horton and Emma welcomed potential students to the club with a short poem and an overview about Secrets in the Sauce.

“I was kind of tempted to join last year,” Jenny Deutschman, sophomore, said. “I love writing and art, too, and so I decided I should probably join and see what it’s like.”

Other students heard about the club through siblings or friends.

“My sister was a senior [at KHS] last year and she kind of told me about it, and it sounded interesting,” John Wingert, sophomore, said. “I’m interested in more like the publishing aspect [and] organizing the magazine.”

The theme for Secrets in the Sauce’s 10th edition is “secrets.”

“The thing about secrets is that they don’t stay secret for long,” Horton said.