Toga Night terror

May 20, 2015

Homes in the Kirkwood community and buildings at KHS were vandalized during Toga Night last night. The KHS administration is currently working with  Kirkwood police who plan to press possible felony charges against the individuals who vandalized KHS on Toga night.

Dr. Michael Havener, principal, estimates the damage at KHS will cost several thousand dollars to repair. Locations that have been spray painted include the main office, art building, the Baker-Travis Commons and on a storage container off of the Essex parking lot. The graffiti includes explicit words and images. Custodians managed to clean most of the graffiti off before the school day began.

Traditionally, Toga Night occurs when rising seniors play pranks on rising juniors. Some of the pranks played this year include covering trees in toilet paper, egging cars and placing furniture in the yards of rising juniors.

According to Havener, when he started at KHS 21 years ago, Toga Day was a harmless school-sanctioned event when the rising seniors dressed up in togas and ate breakfast in the parking lot. Over time, he believes it has become unproductive and harmful to students.

“As an administration, we are not happy and do not condone these activities,” Havener said. “We have been working on [preventing] this for weeks. We sent out a letter and phone calls. These activities are not what we’re about.”