Filed under Uncategorized

An obituary for summer

art by Rea Bedalli

Summer, also known as a warm period with no school to speak of, passed away at the hands of hippie seniors Tuesday, Aug. 18 at 7:50 a.m. They showed up and greeted KHS with a 1960s theme and two rock bands. Not that Summer was offended. It’s only that Summer was the season during which those songs became popular back in the 1960s.

Summer was born back when the Earth was given its tilt and the seasons started. Summer is survived by its less popular sibling, Autumn, and its unpopular cousin Winter. Summer’s older sibling, Spring, passed last June, leaving Summer a substantial inheritance in the form of the profitable tourist season. However, since Summer has passed, the tourists went home, back to work, back to school and back to a place where Winter is coming.

People say that there is always next Summer. For students, Summer is a phoenix, rising from the fall leaves, the snow drifts and the fresh mulch to give children hope that the school year will not last forever. Summer will be reborn each year.

However, as the kids who loved Summer grow up and eventually begin high school, Summer begins to age with them, getting shorter as its spinal cord compresses under the weight of multiple assignments to be completed before the next school year. High school students bring reminders of school home with them after the final days of classes in the form of Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies, Bird by Bird or a packet for next year’s AP class. Summer feels ill at the thought of assigned work, but Summer continues to be reborn each time finals end.

But, for now, Summer is dead. It had a good run, with plenty of sun-soaked memories, backyard barbecues and even the occasional thunderstorm. Summer is dead, but it will be back, and until it does return we can all listen to Summer’s favorite song, Summer Nights, from the musical known as Grease. How does it go again? Summer always reminds us. “Summer days, drifting away…”.

Jamie Jones, entertainment editor

Grade: 12
Interests: Having my emotions wrecked by Grey's Anatomy, taking pictures of my dog, and playing the ukulele.
Favorite quote: Yay me! - London...