Four neediest cases: 2011

December 4, 2018

Lizzie Stobbe

art by Lizzie Stobbe

2011 brought change to their life. It began with their mother’s death and continued with a move to their aunt’s house in the city.

“My mom died when I was 9 years old,” they said. “They were going to put us in foster care, but my aunt didn’t want that so she decided to [have] us [live] with her.”

After a while, another move was necessary. This time they came to Kirkwood. Three more kids were brought into their aunt’s household, upending an already unstable routine.

“[My family is] adopting the [three kids],” they said. “We were fostering them because their mom was killed a few months ago.”

Their routine is more solid now, beginning with waking up at 6:30 a.m. After eating a breakfast of peanut butter crackers, they head to the bus, starting another long day of school, work and homework.

“I get off work at 9:30 p.m. and then do my homework until 11 p.m.,” they said. “Homework [is] a daily struggle.”

Despite these struggles, family is still important. The family can be found eating meals together and chatting about life. In fact, family is one of the things that make them happiest. However, money doesn’t come easily for them. In fact, it’s downright difficult.

“[My aunt] can’t work because she has a disability, so she gets disability checks and then checks for [the kids we’re adopting] to support them,” they said.

Donations List:

Person A

Pink Ross and Visa gift cards

Person B 

Bicycle and clothes: large shirt, 34-30 pants and size men’s shoes 9 1/2

Person C

Hand-held game system and clothes: boys size 8 to 10 pants and shirts and size 2 shoes

Person D  

Learning tablet, baby dolls and Walmart gift cards

Person E  

Person F

Baby toys, learning toys, ride on toy and Walmart gift cards