Helping Hands: Moving

November 19, 2019

Elena Sherwood

With everything going on in their life, it’s difficult for them to find time for themselves. 

Pink headphones and a bundle of necklaces lay around their neck. Their eyes are bright, despite barely sleeping last night. They give off the brightest smile even though the past year has been draining. They started the year at their grandma’s house, where their five-member family was crammed into one bedroom, all the while enduring their Grandma’s emotional abuse. Since then, their family has been living in Airbnbs and hotels, where they stay for a month or less before moving to another location. 

“Now that we’ve moved everywhere, I’m used to it, and I shouldn’t be,” they said. “We don’t even know where we’re going next.”

Despite the constant change in their family’s location, they still find time for schoolwork and band. Education is important to them and they do as much homework as they can, but with the constant stress of being homeless, some days they find themselves not being able to finish all their assignments. 

“I already have anxiety and depression, and I’ve become more stressed [since the moves],” they said. “In the Airbnbs, I [sometimes] have my own room, but I find myself not being able to do most of my homework.” 

Through marching band, they’ve made several friends and found a love for music. They’ve been playing since fifth grade and are practically self-taught. During the year they started band they lived in the city and when transportation became difficult, they had to stop going to morning practice. Despite that setback, they kept playing and were able to be in band class in sixth grade. 

“[Outside of marching band I listen to] Panic! At The Disco and artists on Youtube,” they said. “My friend sent me a [Panic!] song and I checked out their other songs. They’re pretty cool.” 

Their life is exhausting. They sometimes have to take a day or two off of school to sleep and catch up on schoolwork. During their days off they also spend their time playing video games as a way to unwind. With everything going on in their life, it’s difficult for them to find time for themselves. 

“I’ve become more resilient,” they said. “[Moving] is really stressful and it’s impacting me in a lot of ways, but I’m just going with the flow.”

Donations:
Clothes
Monetary donations
New phone (T-Mobile compatible)
Gift cards
Coats
Boots/shoes
Earrings
Digital sports watch
Barbie Dream House
Nintendo 3DS
Food
Microphone with 3.5mm headphone jack
Slime
Bendy and the Ink Machine for Nintendo Switch
Undertale
Splatoon 2
Pokémon sword and shield