State

May 6, 2020

The state of Missouri experienced the largest increase of COVID-19 cases since early April, totaling over 800 new cases between April 1 and April 3.

Additionally, at least 405 employees at the Triumph Foods pork processing plant in St. Joseph were found to be infected with the virus. Triumph Foods specializes in local pork production, according to their website.

“While individuals tested during this initiative did not show COVID-19 symptoms, lab results received thus far indicate that around 17% tested positive for the virus,” Mark Campbell, CEO of Triumph Foods, said. “Of all positive test results received thus far, over 90% have been collected from asymptomatic people.”

Missouri nursing homes have also been affected by the virus, with 70 nursing home facilities in the St. Louis area reporting COVID-19 outbreaks within their facilities.

The increase occurs only days after Governor Mike Parson announced phase one of his plan to reopen the state’s economy, titled the “Show Me Strong Recovery” plan. Last week, Governor Parson said that Missouri had hit its peak of COVID-19 cases, but noted that St. Louis was the only area of the state where cases had not dropped.

Many local governments are allowing their stay-at-home orders to expire, although St. Louis County extended its order indefinitely to reevaluate at a later date.