Graesen Joyce

KHS students have actively voiced their conflicting opinions on social media regarding the cancellation of moderate to high contact sport competitions.

Xander Piskulic

While the cancellation of contact sports mostly affected the athletic students, other students have voiced their own opinions regarding the issue. Xander Piskulic, senior, says he is upset for athletic students, but said keeping students safe is more important.

“If [the cancellation] is going to save a life I think it’s worth it. That’s ultimately what it comes down to, and why [Page] made the decision in the first place,” Piskulic said. “Even if it’s just a small chance, if it’s a one in a thousand chance of someone getting sick, I think that the cancellation is worth what it costs.” 

Piskulic said that he doesn’t think the blame should be put on Page. He said no one is to blame for the decision — or the pandemic overall.

“I don’t think it should be the people that decided to cancel the sports because they didn’t have any other options,” Piskulic said. “A lot of people have said who they blame the pandemic for, but ultimately, nobody is necessarily at fault.”

Many students have reposted information regarding a protest against the decision. Piskulic said he thinks it is completely valid for students to voice their opinion in that way. 

“I think that protesting is completely valid, obviously it has to stay peaceful but if you’re going to go argue your opinion then that’s fine, that’s the right that the founding fathers gave us,” Piskulic said. “Ultimately if they make a change that ends up being better for everybody then it’s a win-win.”

$1030
$500