Djesse vol. 3 – Jacob Collier

January 28, 2021

With an all-star list of unexpected collaborators including Ty Dolla $ign and Tori Kelly, the album takes a distinct approach to pop music. (Graesen Joyce)

The third album of four from 26 year-old London prodigy Jacob Collier, Djesse vol. 3 delights with a glittering, genre-bending 12 song array. Collier, Royal Academy of Music graduate and four-time Grammy winner, continues pushing boundaries by incorporating complex music theory with funk and pop-influenced groove. With an all-star list of unexpected collaborators including Ty Dolla $ign and Tori Kelly, the album takes a distinct approach to pop music. Djesse vol. 3 is perhaps the only album where you can find a Bach choral and the sound of dropping anvils on the same song (Sleeping On My Dreams). On Count the People, a danceable pop rhythm with a catchy, bouncy chorus, you’ll find T-Pain and dizzying rap verses from Collier himself. “Running out of Love” brings Tori Kelly’s shimmering vocals and Collier’s trademark harmonies together in the most serendipitous of combos. Every song on Djesse vol. 3 is a standout, ranging from soft ballads (“He Won’t Hold You”) to heartfelt jams (“Time Alone With You feat. Daniel Caesar”). 

Jacob Collier is a uniquely 21st century musical genius, combining global influences and embracing eccentricity to create a singular, youthful sound. His music showcases the range of human emotions and the limits of musical boundaries. Give it a listen and be prepared to simultaneously be confused, surprised and delighted.

Check out the full version of this review in print and online in TKC’s Issue 6 magazine.