1. “The Goat” — Polo G

February 15, 2021

Polo G deserves to be called the greatest of all time. As I was formulating these rankings this year, I tried to think of reasons not to put this album at number one; after all, he is one of my favorite rappers and I even rated his 2019 album “Die A Legend” the best in its respective rankings. Yet, despite searching for reasons to rank this album lower than number one, I couldn’t find any. Polo G (despite lacking the lyrical wizardry of rappers such as Eminem and Royce Da 5’9”) is one of the preeminent storytellers in the rap community right now; he conveys the rawness of his emotions through each song as if he’s having a heartfelt conversation with the listener. Polo G doubles down on rapping about his childhood experiences on this album, detailing the gang violence, death and hopelessness which he experienced growing up in Chicago. His voice harmonizes perfectly with whichever instrumental he’s rapping over — regardless of whether it’s an aggressive or heartwarming track. Considering Polo G consistently puts earworm beats, catchy lyrics and enthralling stories together, it makes sense that there isn’t a single song on the album worth skipping. 

Best Songs: “21,” “Wishing For A Hero (feat. BJ The Chicago Kid)” and “Beautiful Pain (Losin My Mind)”