3. “Alfredo” — Freddie Gibbs

February 15, 2021

“Alfredo,” which is also nominated for Best Rap Album of the Year, is much like the food it’s named after: always enjoyable. The album possesses the best production on any rap album this year, an attractive combination of tranquil, breezy chord progressions and well-placed samples. “Something to Rap About” is full of references to both Freddie Gibbs’ and featured artist Tyler, the Creator’s pasts; the former reflects on the lessons he’s learned since disowning the distasteful lifestyle of his past, while the latter alludes back to his early-2010s albums and his artistic growth since then. For someone who was not familiar with Freddie Gibbs prior to this year, I appreciated the narrative-building ability he displayed on this track. Throughout “Alfredo,” Gibbs also shows his ability to morph to any beat he’s rapping over, switching from a menacing, fast flow on “God is Perfect” to a smoother, relaxed presence on “Skinny Suge” to fit the track’s ‘lo-fi-esque’ soundtrack. Ultimately, the only problem with the album is its length; if “Alfredo” had been fifteen or twenty tracks long rather than ten, it likely would have finished higher on the list. 

Best Songs: “God Is Perfect,” “Something To Rap About (feat. Tyler, the Creator)” and “Scottie Beam (feat. Rick Ross)”