In+light+of+recent+events+and+students+wanting+to+be+heard%2C+Individuals+in+KSD+believe+the+district+equity+policy+is+not+up+to+date+with+the+rest+of+society+and+not+inclusive+to+all+people%2C+so+KSD+is+revising+their+equity+policy+for+students%E2%80%99+benefit+in+2021.+

Liv Timp

In light of recent events and students wanting to be heard, Individuals in KSD believe the district equity policy is not up to date with the rest of society and not inclusive to all people, so KSD is revising their equity policy for students’ benefit in 2021.

Rewriting equity

Recently, KSD has decided to update their equity policy so that it incorporates race for the first time. The Kirkwood School District (KSD) has been practicing an equity policy for over 30 years. In light of recent events and students wanting to be heard, Individuals in KSD believe the district equity policy is not up to date with the rest of society and not inclusive to all people, so KSD is revising their equity policy for students’ benefit in 2021. 

Executive director of equity, wellness and inclusion for KSD, Shonda Ambers-Phillips, said she’s passionate about the comfort and safety of her students. This has caused her to take on the responsibility of something she is truly passionate about, creating a new policy where all students feel heard.

“This is our first racial equity policy,” Ambers-Phillips said. “The [racial equity group] has been in place for a long time, but the policy, which really operationalized what we do and should govern our practice, was lodged Nov. 16.” 

“Ultimately, I want students’ lived experiences to change – not just [in] Kirkwood, but American schools in general.”

— Shonda Ambers-Phillips

Ambers-Phillips has been working in KSD for over five years and said she wants to improve the experiences of her students, particularly students of color. She said she feels now is the perfect time to institutionalize a racial equity policy.

“Since the task force was transitioned to me about a year ago, I’ve honestly wanted to have a racial equity policy since then,” Ambers-Phillips said. “I feel like we have to have a racial equity policy because our data supports it. We are not necessarily serving all kids well.” 

Ambers-Phillips has been working on this policy to make sure it is just the right fit for her students. She has reached out to different organizations for their perspective on where KSD could do better because she believes that an outside voice is the best way to figure out what KSD really needs to improve on. 

“I sent an email out Dec. 17 to different sponsors of clubs,” Ambers-Phillips said. “I wanted to make sure I reached out to all the groups I felt like really had a stake in this and could give me some guidance on what their thoughts were about the direction we were going.” 

KHS students are also involved in developing the upcoming racial equity policy. They were contacted after the Jan. 13 March Against Injustice, a peaceful protest in response to the racist graffiti that was spray painted on the KHS building a few days prior. Romona Miller, KHS assistant principal, recognized the students who organized this march care about how Black students are being treated and decided she wanted their input on how they could combat these unfair experiences. Wyatt Byers, a sophomore, was one of the unofficial leaders of the Injustice March.

“[I suggested] mostly stuff about eliminating bias, more racial training, improved diversity rates and higher enrollment in AP classes,” Byers said. “Making sure that as much training was given as possible and that students have a way to report things they see as unfair in the system.” 

Both Byers and Miller are tired of having outdated policies that don’t align with the rest of society. According to Miller, past policies were not suitable according to the present times and did not embrace all students for who they are. 

“As we went through and looked at this [policy], some of the definitions were definitions that were really not appropriate,” said Miller. “I think making sure that you always have policies that are appropriate for your current times and are not outdated, that are inclusive and really instilling a sense of belonging.” 

Both Miller and Ambers-Phillips said they are incredibly thankful for the students who were willing to speak up and voice their concerns. By instituting this new policy, their goal is for all students to feel safe and appreciated. 

“I want to change the experiences I’m hearing some of them are having in school,” Ambers-Phillips said. “I love the school district so of course I wanna make sure that we are doing our best in terms of supporting students and families and our staff.”

KSD wants these new policies to ingrain a sense of acceptance among the student body and hopefully throughout the community as well. Ambers-Phillips hopes she can set an example for other schools and overall make people of color at Kirkwood feel safer. Miller and Ambers-Phillips are ready for change within KSD and this racial equity policy is their first step. If this policy is approved by the Kirkwood Board of Education, it will be enforced throughout all Kirkwood schools and posted on the KSD website. As the district evolves with the rest of society, Ambers-Phillips hopes this policy keeps KSD current with the rest of the world. 

“I want [people of color] to see themselves as capable and confident learners,” Ambers-Phillips said. “Ultimately, I want students’ lived experiences to change – not just [in] Kirkwood, but American schools in general.”

$1030
$500