Morgan Hooker

In the mood for a fun night? Play Luke Combs’ “1, 2 Many” featuring Brooks & Dunn.

Country music

Country music has always been heavily debated — but is it a worthy genre? Does it belong in the conversation with pop, rap and indie? Can country still garner respect even with mentions of drinking beer and hot girls in corn fields? TKC believes it can, as 61% (40/66) of staffers believe country music is a respectable genre. 

If you’ve ever taken a road trip, there’s a chance you’ve sung along to John Denver’s “Take Me Home, Country Roads.” Or maybe you’ve spent a lake day to “Toes” by Zac Brown Band. At the very least, you might have heard Morgan Wallen’s “Whiskey Glasses” on the radio. While this genre is often scoffed at, country music is inescapable, which is how it should be. It deserves respect.

Is country music a respectable genre?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Country’s stereotype usually consists of white guys crooning about Bud Light and girls in their pickups, but country, like any other genre of music, spans a wide range of themes. According to Country Music Tattle Tale, a country-fan-led news site, nostalgia is the top theme in country music. This “message” brings out many other subjects, meaning there’s a country song for everyone. Feeling content with a day’s work? Try Travis Tritt’s “Great Day To Be Alive.” Heartbroken? Queue Maren Morris’ “I Could Use a Love Song.” In the mood for a fun night? Play Luke Combs’ “1, 2 Many” featuring Brooks & Dunn. There are so many more — and even the ‘beer, girls and pickups’ trope can be catchy. 

Another switch up in the genre comes from more diversity in singers, not just their content. Black country singers, such as Darius Rucker, Lil Nas X and even St. Louis native Nelly, are prominent in the genre. Female artists like Kacey Musgraves and Gabby Barrett are joining the ranks of singers like Dolly Parton and Reba McEntire. Reminder: our beloved Taylor Swift rose to fame from country music. 

Country deserves the same reverence as other popular genres of music. So sit back, feel the sun on your face, and turn on some southern tunes — we won’t judge you for it. 

$1030
$500