Red velvet cupcakes
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com.
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ounce bottle of red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
Makes about 30 cupcakes.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 16 ounces confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy (about five minutes). Mix in sour cream, milk, vanilla and food coloring.
- With the mixer on low, gradually add in the flour mixture until combined. Scoop batter into 30 paper-lined muffin cups, filling each cup ⅔ of the way full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcake comes out clean. Cool for five minutes and frost.
- (For the frosting) Beat cream cheese, butter, sour cream and vanilla in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioner’s sugar until smooth.
Decorate your cupcakes for the Valentine’s Day festivities: heart-shaped sprinkles or a chocolate drizzle adds style to the dessert.