Aine+Bradley

Aine Bradley

St. Louis Community College – Meramec

Undecided

I live my life based on five simple instructions printed on a small note card in blue ink. My freshman year therapist gave me this list as a reminder to do all the necessary things to take care of myself. They were a crash course to keep me afloat for the time being. Now, three and a half years later, I still glance at the note card every morning as I get ready.

It serves as a simple reminder to “eat, sleep, shower, brush teeth, smile, hug, repeat.” This little piece of paper has remained guidance for me throughout high school, jobs, hobbies, breakups,  loss, anxiety and change. It works as a reason to keep living. All I had to do was keep doing those simple things every day, and eventually things would get better. I would be at a place mentally where I’d be able to add more things on my plate, until I could fully take care of myself again. 

I’m in no way a very organized person, but this seems to be the only thing I can’t help but follow. There were a few times in high school when I considered not continuing to live; I was tired,  unmotivated, depressed, and those feelings had seeped so deeply into every aspect of life that nothing brought me happiness the way it used to. As senior year is coming to a close, and even writing this now feels so cheesy but all these things I really do genuinely feel. I am so much happier now than I was freshman year, I am surrounded by people I love, I love who I have become, I love the life I live.  I am grateful to have continued. To everyone who has been my cheerleaders throughout my life at any and every stage, I love you, thank you. Always keep bending towards the sun.

$1030
$500