Coco LeGrand

I soon realized that there was no “normal” while working on a publication because real life isn’t “normal.”

Sim Khanuja

University of Wisconsin-Madison

Journalism and Psychology 

My deepest, darkest confession: I’ve watched “The Vampire Diaries” a total of twelve times. When I admitted this to my closest friends, I was met with utter judgment. But with vampires, suspense and romance, what’s not to love?

When I would sit on the couch to watch TV, I solely watched “The Vampire Diaries” for years. I couldn’t bring myself to stray away from it. After watching and rewatching, I unintentionally knew all the plot lines and outcomes, memorized all the odd couple pairings and could even start reciting lines word-for-word. To me, watching a show where I couldn’t be surprised was comforting. I didn’t have to think or stress — I just mindlessly consumed. This enjoyment of the familiar translated into most areas of my life. I would order the same thing at restaurants, avoid sleepovers because I liked sleeping in my own bed and would eat the same breakfast and lunch every day. I preferred having a strict routine because it was simple, and I never had to fear the consequences of venturing into the unknown. 

Whether it was pursuing interviews with strangers, being vulnerable to constructive criticism during editing week or just attempting to use our impossible design software system, my time spent as a high school journalist had me stepping into areas I would have never even attempted to dip my toes in. I soon realized that there was no “normal” while working on a publication because real life isn’t “normal.” In reality, nothing is there to shelter you and it’s crucial that you put yourself out there and try new things, not revert to comfortable habits. The Kirkwood Call taught me that lesson and has molded me into a more adventurous, outgoing journalist and person. I now realize that I haven’t rewatched “The Vampire Diaries” in over a year, and when I sit on the couch to watch TV, I always click on something new.

$1030
$500