Fostering love

Tess Hubbard
Ann and Matt Salamon have been foster parents for the past ten years.

Ann Salamon always imagined having a big family. She and her husband Matt were well on their way to reaching that goal when their fourth child, Lucy, was born. However, after they were told that Lucy has Down syndrome, Ann knew she would need to focus on Lucy’s needs, along with the needs of their other children. She began to wonder if their family was supposed to be big in a different way.

In the summer of 2013, Ann and Matt started taking foster parent classes through an agency known as the Missouri Alliance for Children and Families (MACF). They attended these weekly classes for a couple of months and by fall of 2013, they were certified foster parents. Since they didn’t get a placement right away, they started doing respite care, which is when they would watch a foster kid for a weekend in order to give their foster parents a break. 

“Our first foster kiddo we [had] from Jan 2014 [to] May 2015,” Ann said. “It was hard [when] she left, but we love the person who adopted her so we felt sad, but also at peace and good about it.”

It was hard [when] she left, but we love the person who adopted her so we felt sad, but also at peace and good about it.

Amy (last name not mentioned) did respite for them for about two and a half years for the same little girl. Amy said that they got to know the little girl after some time, so when the courts decided that she was legally free for adoption, they decided to adopt her.

“[The Salamons] are so above and beyond, they provided a safe home, so much stability [and] really good care spiritually, physically and emotionally to all of the kids in their care, especially ours who was with them the longest for three years,” Amy said. “That’s a very long time and I know that it was really hard for them to decide to go ahead and have her placed for adoption outside of their home they raised her for three years.”

Amy mentions that her daughter still keeps in touch and sees each other from time to time. 

“[The Salamons are] kind of like an extra set of grandparents, she calls them Poppy and Mimi, affectionately like you would call your grandparents,” Amy said. “But it’s worked out well that we get to keep in touch [and] I send pictures all the time. She calls and talks to them on the phone. We always send sports schedules and concert schedules and recitals and all those kinds of things.”

[The Salamons] are so above and beyond, they provided a safe home, so much stability [and] really good care spiritually, physically and emotionally to all of the kids in their care, especially ours who was with them the longest for three years.

— Amy

The Salamons no longer foster children, but they both said it has been a great opportunity to widen their worldview. They said they are happy they were able to participate in this fulfilling practice.

“It was a good way to help, sort of live the example that we learn in our faith community and help our civic community,” Matt said. “And that’s something we have valued  as individuals before we got married, then as a couple and as we raised kids. We believe in that and try to show our own kids the example of what it means to serve others.”