BOE discusses track and field, turf field rental and Success-Ready Students Network

Maggie Cannon
The BOE discussed track and field, turf rental and SRSN at their meeting on April 1.

The KSD Board of Education (BOE) met in the former orchestra room at North Kirkwood Middle School to discuss track and field, turf field rental and Success-Ready Students Network April 1.

During the public comment session, several members of the community expressed their gratitude to the BOE for supporting track and field with the new turf construction. Several students and parents spoke and distributed thank you notes, along with physical pieces of the field, to members of the board.

Currently, a request for turf field rental is in progress, meaning different activities could rent the fields at KHS. There are some concerns regarding how much people will pay to use these facilities, potential damages to the field and laying out rules for field-use. However, Dr. David Ulrich, superintendent, said there is signage that states the rules for the field.

Dr. Matt Bailey, assistant superintendent, and Dr. Liz Grana, interim assistant superintendent, from Success-Ready Students Network (SRSN) filled in the board on their progress regarding the implementation of competency-based learning in Kirkwood schools. SRSN is a collaborative initiative that is working towards connecting Missouri public schools. Bailey and Grana said their mission is to design a better way for students to experience meaningful learning that will ensure future success.

There are eight components to a competency-based mindset according to SRSN’s curriculum: empowering students, meaningful assessment, timely support for students, evidence of student progress, active learning with various pacing, embedding students in the culture and structure of education systems and rigorous and common expectations for learning and engaging students in real-world experiences. SRSN acknowledges many of these points have already been implemented in Kirkwood schools. For example, the STL CAPS program offers high school students a chance to shadow real-life professionals. However, Bailey and Grana believe these components could be distributed better among all grade levels.

Bailey and Grana said SRSN’s next steps include continuing to work directly with teachers and district committees to get the best feedback, expanding their mission to other committees to get more people involved and continuing to implement competency-based learning in KSD.

Some concerns were brought up by the board regarding pacing. Director Judy Moticka asked if a student works ahead or behind the typical speed of their peers, what happens to them? The presenters for SRSN said there are many factors such as graduation requirements that do enforce certain timelines. Additionally, they would like to implement a system where students can prove they understand the material they claim to have mastered, even if they have not mastered all concepts.

Another concern brought up by Director Jennifer Pangborn was what success will look like with competency-based learning. The presenters said that is a work in progress as of right now, but they will work on a quantitative timeline this summer. The final concern that was brought up by Director Jean Marie Andrews was if tests will be standardized across all buildings. Bailey and Grana said they will and that they will use Illuminate to house all common assessments.

The primary upcoming event in KSD is the BOE election on April 2.