Top five valentines day movies

Whether you have a valentine, can’t decide between the ten people you’re talking to or you’re single and depressed, Valentine’s Day is approaching fast. If you haven’t made plans yet, don’t fret. There is always the tried and true option of turning on a cute, nostalgic romance movie and snuggling up with your significant other or favorite blanket. To help you decide, I’ve come up with a list of my five favorite romantic movies.

Number Five: Flipped

This movie is definitely lesser known, but it is one of my absolute favorites. I could not shut up about it for days after I watched it; I’ve never been more obsessed with a PG movie.

I could not shut up about it for days after I watched it; I’ve never been more obsessed with a PG movie.

It follows the story of Juli Baker and Bryce Loski. The two are just seven when they meet, and for Juli, it’s love at first sight. However, her love is not reciprocated by Bryce, who in typical boy fashion, is grossed out by the idea of Juli even existing. But, as they grow up, Bryce’s opinion on Juli slowly starts to change, and he begins to see her in a different light. It is literally the definition of the “she fell first, he fell harder” trope (a personal favorite), and if you’re looking for a cute, pure movie then go watch this one. Right now. 

Number Four: The Proposal

Ryan Reynolds. That’s all I should have to say. But, if you really need more, it is one of the only movies to do “enemies to lovers” justice. It follows the story of Margaret, who is in need of a green card so she can stay in the US and continue her job, and she somehow coerces her assistant Andrew (This is where Ryan comes in) into marrying her. This movie is just as hilarious as it is romantic, and it’s set in Sitka, Alaska. If a movie can make me want to move to Alaska, it’s got to be good, right? 

Number Three: 500 Days of Summer 

If you’re in a happy relationship, skip this one. This is for the lonely. Although it isn’t the happiest story, it’s a fantastic film. Tom, the main character, is a hopeless romantic. The plot follows a non-linear storyline, in which Tom falls in with Summer, and spoiler alert, they don’t stay together. If you’re looking to be more heartbroken than you already are, this one is definitely for you.

If you’re looking to be more heartbroken than you already are, this one is definitely for you.

But, it does end happily for both characters, and maybe it can show you that you just haven’t found the right person yet. And maybe bring you out of your depressed state (a little bit). 

Number Two: Sixteen Candles

A true classic. If you have no one to watch it with, your mom probably remembers this one and would gladly make some popcorn and watch it with you. The queen of the eighties, Molly Ringwald, stars as Samantha, opposite Michael Schoeffling as Jake (AKA the main reason I watched this movie). Samantha wakes up on her sixteenth birthday, expecting presents and birthday wishes. But, thanks to the fact that her spoiled older sister is getting married, everyone forgot. On top of that, possibly the dorkiest freshman in the entire school is OBSESSED with her and will not leave her alone, which I’m sure some of you upperclassmen will relate to. Then, the absolute love of her life starts to like her, and they spend the whole movie dancing around each other and trying to confess their feelings. It is a truly hilarious movie, and is a classic for good reasons. If you’re here for the romance and the fun eighties vibes, this one is perfect for you. 

Number One: 13 going on 30 

The early 2000’s and late 90’s was the golden age of movies, and if you don’t agree, you have no taste. This one is no exception. It’s perfect, just everything about it is just so magical. First and foremost, the outfits in this movie are so bomb, I want Jenna Rink’s closet SO bad. When it starts out, Jenna Rink is a dork. She’s just had a horrible run in with the popular girls of seventh grade, (haven’t we all?), and just wants to be what the magazines portray: thirty, flirty and thriving. She makes a wish, and to her shock, wakes up thirty, flirty and thriving. As she navigates her future life, she realizes that maybe thirty isn’t what all the magazines cracked it out to be. Even though she’s a very successful journalist, gets invited to the hottest parties and has a mega hot hockey boyfriend, she misses the small happinesses from her teenage years. It’s the most adorable movie that rolls life lessons and romance all into one, and we get to see the happy ending. It’s such a good movie; watch it with your boyfriend, watch it with your mom or sister or even watch it alone.

It’s such a good movie; watch it with your boyfriend, watch it with your mom or sister or even watch it alone.

It will leave you feeling a renowned appreciation for your childhood and for the people in your lives right now, and leave you with more hope for the future. 

Valentine’s Day is so hyped up, just one day out of the whole year to be filled with romance and love, but it doesn’t have to be all flowers and fancy restaurants. I think sitting down and watching a cute movie is a perfect way to spend the special day. And if you don’t have anyone to watch with, put your phone away and stop crying over your friends happy V-day stories, pull out the chocolate and turn on a sappy rom-com. It works every time. If I can convince you to watch just one of these movies this year, I’ll be happy.