Fall Movie Guide

Natalie Hosto
This 1993 Halloween cult classic “Hocus Pocus” is one of the best Halloween films out there.

Autumn blows cool air through your propped window as the scent of pumpkin bread baking in the oven wafts through the house. You want nothing more than to snuggle up with a blanket and watch a movie. Yeah, there’s football, but that doesn’t compare to sitting back and pulling up your favorite streaming service to take in a fall flick. If you’re on the hunt for the best Halloween movies, here’s the perfect guide for which ones to watch and which to avoid. Light your Vanilla Pumpkin Waffle candle, grab your pumpkin cream cold brew and enjoy.

“Hocus Pocus” 5/5

I only have love for “Hocus Pocus.” This movie is over dramatic, but so entertaining. Nothing gets me into the Halloween mood more than this movie. Even if they are the antagonists, the Sanderson Sisters make the movie so much more enjoyable with their quirks. The eccentric costumes are so amazing with the ruffles on dresses and poofy sleeves.  This has to be one of the best Halloween films for kids out there besides the fact that in order for the witch’s curse to be broken and brought back, the black flame candle has to be lit by a virgin. According to Rotten Tomatoes, “Hocus Pocus” was rated 2/5 stars. So this movie wasn’t great according to the critics, but the audience loved it, and so did I. The song “I Put A Spell On You” that the witches sing will be stuck in my head for weeks, and I’m sure it will be stuck in yours too once you watch this movie.

“Halloweentown” 3/5

This movie was made by Disney in the 90s, and it shows. Having to sit through unrealistic CGI monsters, and  cheesy lines like, “Umm guys, you might want to see this,” made this movie a painful watch. Dylan Piper, the protagonist’s brother, reminded me a lot of Sheldon from “Young Sheldon” because they have the same character cliche.  This can be seen as a good or bad thing depending on who you ask. He is the overdone, stereotypical know-it-all brother who is the buzz kill at the beginning but ends up having fun after the adventure. All in all, did it get me into the fall spirit? Yes. Would I watch it again? Probably not. This movie was so underwhelming I’ll have forgotten I watched it by the time you read this.

“The Nightmare Before Christmas” 4.5/5

Yes, this is a Halloween movie. “The Nightmare Before Christmas” makes you feel so nostalgic.  Just that fact alone makes this movie amazing. It’s definitely a Tim Burton movie because the animation is dark and gothic but also very detailed. Something about the character’s eerie but endearing feel is so unique. Oogie Boogie is one of the most unsettling cartoon villains out there. The music also makes this movie amazing. “This is Halloween,” “Kidnap the Sandy Claws” and “Sally’s Song” are all legendary. Though this movie doesn’t stick out as much as the others, the nostalgia brings back memories of watching it every year since I was little. This makes it one of the best Halloween movies out there.  

“It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown” 4/5

This movie is so simple because it may only be 25 minutes long, but it’s so good. It’s a perfect example of why you shouldn’t pick winter as your favorite season when you can pick the better option. The animation is pleasing to the eye with the oranges and reds of the trees throughout the film.  Sure, the plot is a little overdone, but this movie is a classic. This quintessential film will be watched by so many people every Halloween even with how simple it is. I will never understand why this series was taken off air.

“Hubie Halloween” 2/5

There is not much to say about this movie except that it’s two hours of my life I will never get back. It makes sense that it’s a Netflix Original because, generally speaking, Netflix originals like “Tall Girl,” “The Kissing Booth” and “He’s all that” aren’t great. The comedy was very dry and felt like poor, rushed writing. Celebrities like Adam Sandler, Peyton List, Noah Schnapp, Karan Brar, and a few others made the movie better, but it still wasn’t my favorite. The way Sandler’s character spoke with his over-exaggerated delivery of lines was unnecessary and distracting. It’s very hard to top some of the classic Halloween movies out there, and “Hubie Halloween” didn’t even come close. Maybe watch this movie if you’re really bored, but if you’re looking for a good movie, pick something else.