Double the pressure

Along with her three AP and three honors courses, she works at Magnolias STL helping with floral festivities.

Waking up from her long awaited nap, her eyes flutter open as she stumbles out of bed, searching for the energy to complete her prolonged AP Psych packet. It is almost midnight, yet she is just beginning her heavy load from the treacherous school day. 

Alana Thomspon, junior, is not just any KHS student. Along with her three AP and three honors courses, she works at Magnolias STL helping with floral festivities. Even though she enjoys her job, said the pressures of having a job can be too much for a teenager.

“It depends on the week, when we have a lot of homework, I don’t know how to manage [it all],” Alana said. “The days [can be] very long.” 

Alana is not alone in the stress of her demanding job. Her triplet Malia, junior, shares the stressful nights as well. The Thompsons work three hours immediately after school a few times per week.

“There was so much preparation [for a wedding last week], and this week, we have to undo it all, which takes a little more time,” Malia said. “You have to manage your time differently [as a student who works].” 

Even though the sisters have identical schedules and fraternal features, their way of finishing homework can be very different. Malia said it’s simpler to balance her homework and her job, so she normally finishes first. Alana, on the other hand, enjoys taking a mental break before continuing back to her schoolwork. 

“We go straight to work from school for two to three hours, then we go home and I shower take a nap and eat dinner,” Alana said. “[After dinner]  it’s already 11 o’clock and I’m [just] starting on my homework. It’s easier for Malia [than it is for me].”

Despite their differences, the sisters manage to work together in order to achieve their goals. They said that they do a lot together, such as studying and working together at their job.

“It’s so nice, because we can double team it to get stuff done and [we] work better together,” Malia said. “We’re not alone in it, and we’re free to do our own thing.” 

Maggie Ryan, junior, also has a job that adds the pressures of being a student worker. Ryan works at Lifetime Fitness and said she originally joined for the free membership, yet her stress has grown since. 

“It’s hard time-management wise, and to balance my job, school and friends,” said Ryan. “My shifts are 4-8pm  and I don’t have time to do anything in between.”

Not to mention the decrease in time Ryan has to complete her challenging course load of two AP and two honors courses. Her job has also been difficult due to her age. 

“My worst experience was when a parent yelled at me,” Ryan said. “[His kid] was kicking and biting me, and [the parent said it was my fault].”

The Thompson sisters and Ryan are just three of the many KHS students who are developing time management skills. Ryan said that the lack of time being a student with a job is demanding and can be mentally draining.