Stress for success?

Megan Kilian, senior, is taking four AP classes, one honors class and two hours of Pioneer, which counts as an honors class. This many classes can lead to stress. One day, she had four tests and an essay due.

While AP and honors classes might look good to colleges when it comes time to apply, they can also be sources of stress, especially when there are multiple tests on the same day. Many students feel a solution to this stress could be for different departments to communicate with one another. Some teachers feel this communication is already happening.

Dr. Michael Havener, principal, believes there is some level of communication between departments. He said while departments do not communicate daily, it usually happens on a monthly basis. But the teachers may not know if there are tests scheduled in other subjects, he said.

“If we know, for example, that all ninth grade students have a term paper due in English, maybe the history department and math department can know that and give homework, but a little bit less,” Havener said.

According to Havener, the spread-out campus is the main reason it is difficult for departments to communicate. Teachers on opposite ends of KHS might not see each other for long periods of time. Havener also said most teachers teach five or six classes each day, and unless they all have similar free periods, it is difficult for them to find time in the day to meet with other teachers.

Dr. Colleen Rull, business department chair, said the business department has collaborated with the English department on rubrics and scoring guides. She said it has helped to reevaluate how the business department scores students. This can be the first step toward a lasting connection between the departments, Rull said.

Rull believes many subjects taught in business classes overlap with other courses, and, in the future, they can be integrated into those classes. She said she is open to more communication with other departments.

John Mackin, science department chair, said the science and engineering departments communicate frequently some science teachers also teach engineering. Mackin said often other classes don’t overlap with science. He also said the focus is on the students in the classroom, not on communicating with other departments.

Mackin, Rull and Havener do not believe that communication negatively impacts students. Kilian, however, disagrees.

“[People] get really stressed, stay up all night, and then come to school with four hours of sleep the next day, and then have to

take four tests,” Kilian said. She believes this is negative for the student’s well-being and grades in general. Mackin believes the main issue is time. There is a limited amount of time to work, so communication between departments often falls through the cracks. Mackin does believes the school is moving toward increased communication, and if departments communicate it will improve the results of what each teacher is trying to do. Kilian realizes some teachers have lesson plans set in stone. For teachers who have more flexible schedules, however, she said it would be nice if AP and honors teachers would discuss what homework will be given when.

Communication between departments is complicated by lack of time and the size of KHS according to Havener. Mackin said communication is not a top priority. From Kilian’s perspective, however, this is a problem that if not addressed, could be detrimental not only to grades, but to well-being in general.