A healthy classroom environment

Natalie Hosto
The Environmental Awareness Club has been dedicated to reducing the community’s carbon footprint since the 1990s.

Aside from a popular small talk topic, the weather isn’t talked to the same level. A comment here and there is all the weather receives in the average person’s day. But for some, the topic of the weather goes beyond an awkward silence. 

KHS’s Environmental Awareness Club has been dedicated to reducing the community’s carbon footprint since the 1990s–the club blooms with change and a new spark of passion. Mandy Melton, club sponsor and science teacher, said the two new co-leaders, Joey Molitor, sophomore, and Alina Garcia, junior, have brought great leadership to the thriving club.

“We are focused on doing volunteer activity and activism around the Kirkwood area,” Melton said. “[We instill] an act of doing when it comes to the environment rather than just sitting back and talking about it.” 

Melton said she lets the students take the reins, saying the club will do whatever the students want it to do; this includes how regular the meetings are and what events they partake in. As of recently, this has included helping the botanical garden post and designing signs about illegal dumping in the sewers.

“We are focused on doing volunteer activity and activism around the Kirkwood area. [We instill] an act of doing when it comes to the environment rather than just sitting back and talking about it.”

— Melton

“This year so far, we have been involved in a stream cleanup in Kirkwood Park [and] tree planting,” Melton said. “We [will] hang door tags and label sewers to teach people that all sewers lead to the oceans like Nemo said.”

Molitor said the Environmental Awareness Club has 10 to 20 kids in attendance each week, while the weekend group that does community service has more volunteers. However, the Environmental Awareness Club has been planning something other than acts of community service; the club is still finalizing plans, and the leaders of the Environmental Awareness Club were excited to announce their school-wide initiative. 

“This year, we will kick off ‘Green Classroom,’” Molitor said. “[It is] a way to get teachers to start thinking, ‘I have a plant in my classroom. I have a recycling bin in my classroom and after a certain amount of things on a checklist [are completed,] they get a reward.” 

“It’s a good opportunity to volunteer. It’s a learning experience, and it’s fun. Just a good environment to be in.”

— Molitor

Head principal, Dr. Seth Harrell, said he has no intentions of preventing this or any other future projects. When asked his thoughts on Kirkwood’s green thumb, Dr. Harrell praised Kirkwood for the work it has done and advocated for more. 

“I know we have a particular group that does some things, and that’s a good start because that shows that there are students and staff that feel like that is important,” Dr. Harrell said.  “I just don’t have a  good feel [on how to improve,] which could tell you [we aren’t doing enough.]” 

Molitor said his life became worlds more green once he joined the club. He and Melton invited anyone who would like to help the planet or learn to be more environmentally friendly to join them every other Wednesday.

“It’s a good opportunity to volunteer,” Molitor said. “It’s a learning experience, and it’s fun. Just a good environment to be in.”