Elizabeth Yenzer

2020 is a standout year when it comes to presidential behavior and mishaps.

Presidential personality

October 21, 2020

So are you voting for creepy old man number one or number two? Although every election brings candidates’ character into question, 2020 is a standout year when it comes to presidential behavior and mishaps. Here are a few of the most outrageous statements by presidential candidates Donald Trump and Joe Biden.

Joe Biden

“I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. And the kids used to come up and reach in the pool and rub my leg down so it was straight and then watch the hair come back up again. I love kids jumping on my lap.”
This disturbing quote from Biden comes from a 2020 campaign speech, as he discussed his past experience working as a lifeguard. Voters took to social media to share disdain for the unsettling speech. “This can’t be real life…” wrote one Twitter user.

“You got the first mainstream African American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy.”
Biden gave this backhanded compliment to Barack Obama during Obama’s 2008 campaign. The offensive generalization about African American presidential candidates before Obama caused criticism for Biden. The Democratic candidate later said the statement was taken out of context and Obama told reporters he was not offended, but the comment still prompted scrutiny.

“Chuck Graham, state senator, is here. Stand up Chuck, let ‘em see you.”
This statement may seem harmless at first, but becomes cringeworthy when considering Graham, former Missouri state senator, was paraplegic and confined to a wheelchair. The blunder at a 2008 campaign rally caused awkward tension and further criticism of Biden’s situational awareness.

“Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”
In another racially charged mishap, Biden implied that not only are Black, Indigenous and people of color (BIPOC) inherently poor but also generally considered to be less intelligent than white kids. He corrected himself after a brief pause: “wealthy kids, Black kids, Asian kids,” but the offensive comment already landed.