You are what you rank

You are nothing more than a number.

It sounds like something out of a World War II novel. So why is it part of our school system? Class rank has reduced students to nothing more than digits racing to the next AP class, obsessed with where they rank among their classmates and stressing about becoming better. The contradictory statements of “do what you love” and “do what is best for your grades” are nothing new to students who worry about GPA. It has become so important for students to set themselves apart from classmates that enrolling in courses to raise GPA has replaced the idea of taking classes due to interest in the subject.

And the results?

Five hours of uninteresting and difficult homework from GPA-boosting classes. Purple under-eye circles caused by a lack of sleep. Students roaming the halls with bald patches from stressed hair-pulling when juggling schoolwork with a job, extracurriculars and a social life become more than a teenager can handle.

“[Class rank] makes it really easy to compare kids mathematically or statistically but not really accurately,” said John Carpenter, independent college counselor and owner of the web site www.askjohnaboutcollege.com, who helps high school students during the college process.

It all leads to the main question: why does class rank matter?

“For every [student] it motivates, it could discourage others,” Tom Gaither-Ganim, KHS educational support counselor, said. “Class rank is probably the most relevant to colleges, which begs the argument that rank be confidential and exclusive to admissions.”

Much of the time, it isn’t even relevant. Many respectable schools do not care about class rank. Princeton, the second best ranked school in the nation, does not believe in the use of class rank for applicants. Neither does Washington University in St. Louis, ranked 13. Even number 15, Brown University, does not require a high class rank to apply, believing student admissions should not be fully based on class rank without other factors taken into consideration.

Some schools have even eliminated the concept of class rank all together. Locally, Clayton High School and St. Louis University High (SLUH) have abolished the system entirely.

“We were finding our students were being penalized by rank,” Mary Michalski, SLUH college counselor, said. “If anything, eliminating class rank has helped our students in the admission and scholarship process since they aren’t labeled by a rank. Instead, the colleges and universities focus on the students grades and courses they have taken.”

Class rank is only helpful to students high on the list. For the rest, it is a hindrance. A math prodigy can be eliminated from college consideration simply because he struggles with essays and chooses to protect his GPA by taking regular English classes. Listing him with students who are gifted in all academic areas is an unfair representation of his actual intelligence. For students who excel in specific areas but struggle in others, class rank makes them appear less intelligent and limits college opportunities.

“It’s hard to rank effort, it’s easier to rank results.” Gaither-Ganim said. “It’s more important for students to strive for personal bests, rather than besting others.”

Every student is different and they all have unique circumstances that affect their grades, their class choices and, yes, their class rank. Even some members of the KHS faculty do not see the fairness in pinning a label on students.

“I wouldn’t do what I do if I thought every student was a class rank, a GPA or a test score,” Abby Peterson, KHS college counselor, said. “Everyone is an individual.”

GPA is not the problem. Ranking students without taking other circumstances into consideration is. Keep GPA, but eliminate class rank. This way, students can still see how they are doing on a personal basis without being pitted against other students based on one aspect.

Last time we checked, individuals are significantly more complex than a number.