I prefer sweatpants

“Fashion show! Fashion show! Fashion show at lunch!” – Kelly Kapoor, The Office.

Upon hearing such a brilliant statement/outright demand from the equally as brilliant Kelly Kapoor, I couldn’t help but think that many students seem to treat the hallways like runways and everyday as if it were, in fact, a fashion show.

Bow ties, leather boots, blazers and oxford shirts. As I walk the KHS halls, the following items make many appearances throughout my day. And all the while I can’t help but wonder one miniscule question: why?

I mean really, what is the point of dressing so nicely for school? From 7:50 a.m. – 2:40 p.m., we sit in desks and learn. With the exception of the six-minute passing periods and a half hour for lunch, a vast majority of the seven hours of the school day are spent behind classroom doors. Closed classroom doors. Closed classroom doors where nobody can see you or the crazy cute outfit you’re donning while listening to a lecture.

I admit, I’m hardly what one would describe as fashionable. Be that as it may, I find myself pondering what in the world makes people wake up in the morning and throw on their most stylish clothing. I also frequently wonder who in the world you’re trying to impress by looking even a hair above presentable. With all due respect, students, I can honestly say I’d rather be comfortable in a sweatshirt as opposed to receiving praise for my clothing. After all, this is only high school.

Beyond the obvious downsides of putting serious effort into appearances such as waking up earlier, stressing out about what shirt will impress which student, dressing nicely creates a distraction. While sitting in my classes with students who feel compelled to dress to the nines on a regular basis, my attention diverts from what we’re learning to why in the world anybody cares enough to look even remotely decent at 8 a.m. As sheer bewilderment and confusion overwhelms me, I stop paying attention to the curriculum. When I’m not paying attention to the curriculum, I’m not receiving an education. And oddly enough, the last time I checked, the overall point of high school is to become educated. Not only does the really-dressed-up perpetrator look far more acceptable than I do, but I’m also not learning. So thanks, aesthetic assassin, for not only butchering my confidence, but also robbing me of an education. How can I ever repay you.

At the end of the day, it’s completely up to the individual to determine how they want to dress for school. If uncomfortable, tight-fitting (albeit good looking) clothes are one’s preference, then by all means treat the school day as if it is a fashion show. In the meantime, I’ll be overseeing from afar, clad in sweats and as comfortable as ever, still wondering why dressing so nicely is such a priority.

View Comments (1)
$1030
$500