Replacement officials need to go

Replacement officials need to go

Watching the Packers-Seahawks game this past Monday, I found myself slapping my forehead in utter disbelief as three NFL replacement officials blew a last-second call that allowed the Seahawks to somehow escape with a win.

In June of 2012, contract negotiations broke down between the NFL Referees Association and the NFL. As a result, the officials were locked out. This lead to hiring replacement referees to start the season.

What has transpired since the season began can only be described as utterly comical and disgraceful

These bumbling replacement officials are performing as if they have never refereed before in their lives. Their explanations of calls are miles away, and most of the time they do not even make the right call. The NFL is a longstanding, respectable organization, but right now it is in jeopardy.

The integrity of football is zero. How can I watch or pay attention to the actual game when my focus is constantly diverted to another blatant error by an official? The NFL needs to clean this up fast before the entire league becomes a laughing stock.

Roger Goodell, NFL Commissioner, needs to step in. It is under his job description to maintain the honor and safety of the league. As of now, he is failing miserably in both categories. The officials clearly still have yet to adjust to the game speed of the NFL, which is compromising the safety of the players.

When legitimate officials are brought back, maybe then I will start watching NFL games again. Until that happens, the NFL and its replacement referees are complete jokes.