Natalie Hosto

Go on, keep on scrolling, who needs sleep when you can be on your phone?

Breaking limits

*This piece is entirely satirical

Just one more minute, you silently think to yourself as you press the Ignore Limit button for what is probably the hundredth time. It’s 2 a.m. and you have to wake up in four hours, but you’re physically unable to stop yourself from falling deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole that is TikTok. I get it. Why waste time sleeping when you could be on your phone? As any procrastinator would tell you, social media places priority over every aspect of your life. Below is a list of why you should spend time on social media 

The CDC suggests no more than two hours of screen time a day, but for most of us, two hours is amateur talk.

According to a TKC survey, 68.6% of students spend more than that on social media, and this doesn’t even include the hours spent staring at our computer and TV screens. The New York Times reports that the average screen use for teenagers is eight hours a day. Impressive, I know. All that time spent ignoring self-imposed time limits on our social media apps is building up to this very moment. It’s...

Spending time on social media is a great way to feel motivated. Not.

Why spend time folding your laundry into neat piles and wasting precious time on mundane, useless chores when watching YouTube videos of aesthetic room makeovers is an infinitely more gratifying experience. So go on, buy that viral mini vacuum cleaner you’ve been seeing all over TikTok; it’s not like you’ll actually be putting it to use. ...

Back in the old days, success was determined by hard work and perseverance.

Now, to achieve success, you just need to have enough likes on Instagram. But let’s BeReal here, who wants to take time off of social media and learn real world skills when you could be spending the rest of your days sitting in bed scrolling through cat memes?

Congratulations, you just started a war in the comments section.

You posted a comment without realizing it could be taken the wrong way, and now dozens of people are cursing your online existence. Good luck dealing with that one!  

You tell yourself you’ll just check a few stories, and seven hours later, your entire day is gone.

But hey, at least now you know the latest TikTok trends. Maybe you can try them out at 2 a.m. once you’re half-done with your math homework.

Whenever we feel sad, bored or in need of comfort, we often turn to social media.

But after wasting hours on your phone, you end up feeling even worse than you felt before. In retrospect, spending time with your friends or playing a real game of basketball with your siblings was probably a better idea.

None of this is your fault… it’s your phone’s.

It just won’t stop buzzing with Snapchat notifications, and no matter how hard you try to ignore it for the sake of your Biology grade, you end up giving in anyway. One thing leads to another, and you get a C in the class. When your teacher questions you about it, you try to explain to her that it wasn’t your fault.

In the end, what matters most is finding that balance.

It only takes two clicks and a little bit of willpower to remove these unneeded distractions from your life (or a lot of willpower, depending on how emotionally attached you are). Social media will always be there; don’t be afraid to take a break from it when you need one.

$1030
$500