Boom, Boom, Pow: Your bell’s been rung

A concussion is caused by a sudden blow to the head. This blow shifts the brain, making it hit the inside of the skull, which prevents the brain from functioning normally. The brain is surrounded by spinal fluid, which acts like a cushion, and protected by the skull. However, if the head is hit unexpectedly hard, the brain bangs against the skull, causing it to swell.

Sam Yarborough’s pass to Carl Fulton in the fourth quarter of the JV Kirkwood vs. Webster football game was a routine pass and catch play that went wrong.

“I caught the pass and a guy hit me in the end zone. When I landed, I blacked out for a second, and when I got up my vision was way off,” Fulton said.  “Later in the game, I heard my name called to go in, so I lined up on the sidelines thinking I was on the field.”

Fulton’s loss of consciousness, blurred vision and confusion was the result of a concussion he had received from the hit.

Concussions have plagued sports for decades and the 2010 KHS fall athletic programs have been victim to an increasing number of them this fall season according to the former athletic trainer Llyod Knudsen.

“There have already been 12 concussions this year, and eight of them have been from the football program,” Knudsen said.

Athletic program officials are taking steps to ensure the continued safety of their student athletes.  Rules regarding the treatment of concussions are enforced in all  sports.  The extent of these rules vary depending on the grade of the concussion.

“If you suffer a concussion playing a sport, we require you to sit out of that sport until you are symptom free for seven days.  Then you have to be cleared by a doctor, physician or certified athletic trainer before returning,” Knudsen said.

The symptoms of a concussion include loss of consciousness, nausea, headache, dizziness, blurred vision, loss of short term memory, vomiting and ringing of the ears.

“If you get a second concussion after returning you are required to sit out for 14 days, and depending on the grade of concussion, you might have to be seen by a physician,” Knudsen said.  “Then if you are cleared by your doctor, physician or certified athletic trainer after 14 days and get a third concussion, you will have to sit out an extended period of time and be seen by a doctor or physician.”

In order to help prevent concussions, the KHS football program recently purchased new XENITH football helmets which were designed with the goal of reducing the risk of concussions.

“The helmets are built with shock absorbers and a shock bonnet,” Knudsen said.  “It’s a pretty advanced helmet with a lot of protection.”

During the fall athletic season, KHS student athletes have received concussions not only in football, but also participating in softball, field hockey and cheerleading.

“My flyer, Lexi, was coming down in a full down and elbowed me to the ground,” Diamond Boyd, varsity cheerleader, said.  “My vision was blurred and everything was foggy.”

Boyd received a concussion from the impact to the head and was treated.

KHS officials are looking into newer ways to treat and prevent concussions.

“We are looking into impact testing the athletes at KHS next year.  This way we will have a base line of all the athletes and when someone gets a concussion we will be able treat them better,” Knudsen said.

KHS will not be able to stop the concussion epidemic, but is taking steps to reduce the number of concussions students have and treat them as effectively as possible.

View Comments (1)
$1030
$500