One small tweet for man, one giant response

Twitter is to Facebook as Kirkwood is to Webster Groves.

This summer I converted from Facebook to Twitter. When I made the switch, I realized how much more Twitter allows you to do than Facebook. Most importantly, Twitter lets people contact famous athletes and celebrities. It took me a long time to realize this. After figuring this out, it did not take long to realize I could contact some of my favorite athletes and celebrities including John Isner, Bob and Mike Bryan, Bubba Watson and Scott Disick.

The first athlete I contacted (a better word could be stalked) was John Isner. Isner and I go way back. I am an avid University of Georgia fan and Isner played tennis at The University of Georgia a few years ago. I attended quite a few matches and watched him pummel the competition. Upon joining the pro tour, Isner was thrust into the spotlight after winning his first-round match at Wimbledon 70-68 versus Nicolas Mahut. The match was the longest in tennis history and gave him a lot of attention from the tennis world.

Following Isner’s new found stardom, I stumbled upon his Twitter account. I quickly began Tweeting him daily. Once, I even tweeted him after every point during a match, sending him encouragement and advice.  At night, I prayed to the Twitter gods that when I woke up there would be a message from Isner. Then on Sept. 14 at 7:20 p.m., Isner sent me a Tweet, “Thanks man. Appreciate it.” When I read this message, it was surreal. My dreams had come true. I was very worried though that all the messages I was sending Isner bothered him so I asked him. He replied, “No worries. The support is awesome!”

The other athletes I targeted for some time were Bob and Mike Bryan, professional tennis players. The two brothers are known as the Bryan Brothers because they play doubles together. They also share a Twitter account. One night I thought of a plan to try and arrange a doubles match between myself partnered with John Isner versus Bob and Mike Bryan. I tweeted the Bryan Brothers about my idea, maybe with a little trash talk thrown in at times. Then, Sept. 16 at 12:47 p.m., I received a message from them saying, “Who knows, maybe you would… but it’s a bet I would definitely accept. Keep practicing. You might get your shot one day.”

Since that moment, I have been playing tennis everyday to hone my skills and achieve my goal of beating the Bryan Brothers. I have not yet revealed the amount of money on the line, but I feel something near $250,000 is adequate for this type of competition.

The moral of this story is simple: for all of you who are addicted to Facebook, leave it for a while. Get Twitter. Maybe you will get your 15 minutes of fame.

A SAMPLING OF ROBERT’S ELITE TWEETS

• rac1010: Hey John I’m just checking in to see how you’re doing. Better start training, I see a couple grand slams in OUR future.
  • JohnIsnerTennis: @rac1010 thanks man. appreciate it.

• rac1010: @Bryanbros, do you play WTT? If so when you come to STL tweet me so I can take you down on the tennis court.
  • Bryanbros: @rac1010 Will do. Better bring your good stuff.
  • rac1010: I thought everything was bigger in Texas? If that were true the punt returner’s hands would have been big enough to catch that ball.
  • rac1010: Hello @RevRunWisdom, I am curious as to how Diggy and Jojo are doing. Feel free to tweet me back anytime. I know you’re a busy man.

• rac1010: @bubbawatson Hey Bubba how’s it going. You and @johnisnertennis do UGA proud!
  • bubbawatson: @rac1010 thanks
  • rac1010: @JohnIsnerTennis you better be training for our doubles match against the @Bryanbros. After the match I’m playing @andyroddick, left handed.

• rac1010: @scottdisick Hello Scott, you are my idol. I once stuffed a $100 down a waiter’s throat too.
  • scottdisick: @rac1010 Congratulations
  • rac1010: @bubbawatson I’m watching you on golf channel. They just asked about Twitter you failed to mention my name. I’ll forgive you. It’s go time!!
  • rac1010: @BillGates let’s play table tennis. My house. Eight o’clock.
  • rac1010: Hey @THE_REAL_SHAQ you know I can take you down in a game of Tic-Shaq-Toe. Don’t even try me.
  • rac1010: Hey @andyroddick I like you. Your game needs some help, I’ll work with you. That is if @JohnIsnerTennis doesn’t offer me a coaching job 1st.
  • rac1010: @bubbawatson I love turtles!! They are my favorite animal. Can you sign a turtle and send it to me?!?!
  • rac1010: Hi @Barack Obama, you need a bit of help. I have a solution to the economic downturn. Give me a call I’m sure you have my number somewhere.
  • rac1010: My goal for the day: acquire a taste for caviar.
  • rac1010: Colorado shouldn’t you be climbing mountains, not playing football?