Winter Sport Previews

Wrestling

Last Season’s Record: 2-10

The boys’ varsity wrestling team had a tough season last year. After losing Marcus Brownlee, who earned second place in the state championship, the team looks to improve. The wrestling team returns with Scott Mackenzie and Henry Hansen, seniors and captains, and Nate Williams, junior.

Girls’ Basketball

Last Season’s Record: 20-6

After a first round loss to Webster Groves in the 2010 district playoff game, the girls’ basketball team has worked hard over the off season to improve their game from last year. The Lady Pioneers return seven players from last year, all of whom are juniors. Dajae Williams, Lianna Doty and Natalie Fryrear have high hopes to lead their team to another successful 20-win season.  Head coach Brad Sutterer, assistant athletics director, will fill in for Ron Sanford, who stepped down as head coach at the end of last season.

Hockey

Last Season’s Record: 14-12

The boys’ varsity hockey team is back this year with hopes in advancing in this year’s playoffs. After losing to the SLUH Junior Billikens in the second round, the hockey team is determined to better their 14-12 record from last season. Despite losing six seniors last season, including their team’s leading scorer Nick Webb, they return seniors Jason Kuziel, Mike Howard and Jared Lemcke. The Pioneers lost the season opener 6-0 to Fort Zumwalt West.

Boys’ Basketball

Last Season’s Record: 13-13

Last year the boys’ basketball season was highlighted by David “Chubbs” Stillman. Stillman scored six points in a 70-30 victory over Fox in his first high school game. The team graduated five seniors Hunter Ward, Ahmad Hicks, Pete Krusing, Kyle Rice and Nathan McMahon last year but expects a successful season this winter. The team returners are Lawrence Williams, senior, and Myles Artis, junior.

Boys’ Racquetball

Last Season’s Record: 5-5

The boys’ racquetball team placed third in the state tournament last year. The team graduated five seniors, but has many returning players including Robert Conroy, Patrick Day and Clayton Mosby, seniors, to fill their spots this season. The team lost to 4-3 in their first game Nov. 9.

Girls’ Racquetball

Last Season’s Record: 5-5

The girls’ varsity racquetball team enters the 2010-2011 season with three varsity returners: Lydia Mitchener, senior, Suzy Bambini and Lizzy Henquinet, juniors. Beginning this season each team will now have eight varsity players as opposed to the six from last season. The team lost to Parkway West 2-5 in its first game Nov. 10.

Girls’ Swim and Dive

Last Season’s Record: 7-5

With two rookie coaches last year, the KHS swim and dive team looks to improve their record. Despite losing Jordan Berger, Katie Cox and Hannah Stuhlmann, the team returns top performers Rachel Kokenyesi, Mary Kate Hoerr and Adrienne Meckes, sophomores. Grace Goding, senior, qualified for the state tournament in diving last season. Their first meet is Dec. 9 at Clayton High School.