BIG! & small.

Wrestlers are split apart into different classes based on their weight. The Kirkwood Call interviewed the smallest and the largest wrestler to see what, aside from weight, makes them different from their teammates. Even though these two people have different qualities they have one thing in common: wrestling.

Sam Toigo

It takes years for teens to develop into mature adults, but Sam Toigo, freshman, had to grow up a lot quicker than most. When Toigo was just four years old, his mother passed away from Melanoma skin cancer. According to Toigo, this allowed him to become more attentive to how his friends were feeling. He was now able to listen better and give his friends advice when they needed it. Through the passing of his mother, Toigo matured. He feels this maturity translates into his first year of wrestling.
“[Coach Dickinson] is a really good coach. He disciplines us really well and makes sure we do the moves right and makes sure our cardio is up,” Toigo said.
Toigo feels the skills he learns as a wrestler translates to many other subjects including school. The sport demands maturity as well as discipline due to the constant weight checks and heavy practice schedule.
“[Wrestling] makes me know that I have to get my stuff in on time and I have to be ready for things,” Toigo said. “I haven’t gotten grounded as much because I know that when things have to be in on a certain time, that’s when it has to be in.”

Matt Berry

Many join the armed forces because family history of service to their country, but the idea of enlisting formed in the mind of Matt Berry, sophomore, after reading about a 14-year-old who stowed away on a ship and eventually made it to Iwo Jima to later receive a Medal of Honor for his courage. For Berry, wrestling is not just a sport, it is a way to prepare for his future in the military. Upon graduating high school, Berry plans on enlisting in the Marines as an infantry man.
The only people in his family who have served in the armed forces were two of his great grandparents. Both provided Berry with inspiration on his hopeful journey into the military.
“[My great grandpa] did World War II, Korea and Vietnam. I never was able to talk to him because he died when I was one, but I talked to my grandma and found out he was really decorated and that made me want to kind of follow in his legacy,” Berry said.
According to Berry, many aspects of wrestling translate to his future in the Marines as well as the two other sports he plays at KHS; lacrosse and football.
“So far because of wrestling, I have dropped 20 pounds and am stronger than I ever have been before,” Berry said.