Girls swim team leaves Prop 2 in its wake

The end-of-the-day bell sounds and there is an instant rush for the halls.  In that skirmish, a group of student athletes race not down toward the Denver Miller Gym for practice, but for their cars.

All KHS aquatic teams are forced to schedule their practices at the Meramec Community College pool, due to KHS’ lack of a school pool.  However, many of the swimmers do not believe the Meramec pool is suitable.

“Meramec is old and outdated, and our team’s outgrown it, you could say, and it doesn’t offer what we need,” Adrienne Meckes, sophomore and girls’ varsity swimmer, said.  “Even the blocks we dive off are old and we have to put towels on them sometimes just so we don’t slip.”

Recently, this issue was presented to the Kirkwood community in the form of Proposition 2.  Proposition 1 passed with 58.7 percent of citizens voting yes.  The result of this vote borrows $33,575,000 for renovating, improving and furnishing different facilities in the Kirkwood School District.  Proposition 2, however, failed with 52.3 percent vote against the borrowing of $14,845,000 and a 4.5 cent tax increase for an aquatic center at KHS, improved handicap-accessibility to Lyons Stadium, and renovated playing fields for schools of the Kirkwood School District.

When Proposition 2 was rejected, the rippling effects of the failure personally hit home with the KHS aquatic sports teams, including the girls’ swim and dive team, currently in season.

“I think it kind of stinks that the proposition wasn’t passed,” Grace Goding, senior and varsity swim and dive captain, said.  “It would be a lot easier to have practice and meets at Kirkwood instead of going to Meramec.”

The commute and quality of the pool are not the only issues the girls’ swim and dive team members have with Meramec.

According to Elizabeth Klippel, sophomore and varsity swimmer, there is little amount of community support for their team compared to that of other KHS sports.

“Since Meramec is so small and hot, our fan base mostly consist of parents and occasionally friends every now and then. If KHS had a pool I think fans would be more supportive and willing to stop by for a meet,” Klippel said.  “Instead of driving all the way to Meramec, people could just come to the high school like they’re used to with normal sporting events.”

Members of the girls’ swim and dive team disagree with the majority of the Kirkwood residents regarding Proposition 2, including Klippel.

“A pool would have definitely been worth taxpayers money with the opportunities to teach kids to swim and offer life guarding classes, and of course swimming and water polo. I see no downside,” Klippel said.

Despite the inconveniences and complaints, the girls’ swim team’s record, as of Jan. 25, is 6-2, after their loss to Parkway West.

“We can’t let Proposition 2 effect how we perform,” Meckes said.  “We just have to work with what we have, and so far we’re having a great season.”