Athlete of the week: Bridget Mayfield

Photo by Andrew Conroy

Bridget Mayfield may be young, but her accomplishments go far beyond her years.

Mayfield made it all the way to the Class 2 State tennis final as a freshman this past week, coming one win shy of a state championship.

“It’s my greatest accomplishment ever for tennis,” Mayfield said. “It was my goal the whole season.”

Although it seemed like an unlikely goal then, Mayfield knew that she had the skill. She has been playing tennis for the past 10 years after her mom first put her in a clinic. Mayfield said that she has enjoyed tennis ever since.

Mayfield loves tennis but also realizes that it is a tremendous workload. She practices every day except Friday and Sunday.

“My demanding schedule can definitely get annoying,” Mayfield said. “but I am able to manage it most of the time.

By dedicating herself to the sport she loves, Mayfield has her eyes on the ultimate prize, a state championship. Even though she went 15-4 this past season and was the state runner-up, she’s hungry to do more next year.

“I had a feeling of accomplishment at state this year,” Mayfield said. “And my goal for next year is to go to state once again and place either the same or higher than this year.”