Athlete of the week: Jordan Bishop

Sarah Heet

Varsity football quarterback Jordan Bishop led Kirkwood to its first state championship in school history, by defeating Fort Osage 31-7. Bishop threw for 146 yards with three touchdowns in the victory. He was able to control the game not only with his arm, but his ability to run the ball when nobody was open.  Bishop was named Suburban-South offensive player of the year prior to the playoffs.

The team had a never-say-die attitude throughout the playoffs, with comeback wins against Webster and Rockwood Summit.  Bishop led the Pioneers on their game winning drives in each game.  After finally completing the team’s mission of a state title, Bishop said he was shocked that they had finally done it.

“[The locker room] was crazy after the game with everyone singing, laughing, and having fun,” Bishop said.  “It was great to be the team on top this time.”

As for his performance in the game, Bishop said he felt he played okay.

“I did well enough to win a football game,” Bishop said.

Bishop’s goal in the beginning of the season was to lead his team to a state championship, and did just that with his leadership and hard work.  Fort Osage made it a 17-7 game late in the third quarter, but Bishop responded with poise by driving his team 80 yards down the field. He capped it off with a touchdown pass to secure the lead, and Kirkwood never looked back from there.

Bishop’s most memorable moment from the game was his 7-yard touchdown pass to his twin brother, Jarrod Bishop.  Bishop said it was special because not many people have the opportunity to have a connection like theirs.

“That was probably the last time it will happen,”  Bishop said.