Booker’s return gives Pioneers early Christmas present

Sarah Heet

It was the worst basketball season Evan Booker could remember.

Game after game, he was forced to watch from the sidelines as he waited to get cleared to play. The clearance never came, and Booker, junior, ended up missing all but four games due to a torn meniscus and a bone bruise in his knee.

However, this winter is a new beginning for Booker and KHS basketball. He hopes to stay healthy for the entire season and the Pioneers are looking to improve their 15-12 record from last season. The key to how far the Pioneers can go rests, in major part, on the shoulders of the 6 foot 5 inch Booker, according to varsity head basketball coach Bill Gunn.

Going into last season, expectations were high for KHS. The roster was loaded with experience and depth, but that summer, in an Amateur Athletic Union game (AAU), Booker tore his meniscus. The initial prognosis was that he would be able to play in six to eight weeks. The recovery took longer than expected, but Booker nonetheless tried to play injured in the first couple games. His knee was still bothering him, so Booker was forced to undergo a second surgery.

“It was very hard,” Booker said. “I just tried to cheer on my team as much as I could, but I still felt awful.”

Booker missed the remainder of the season, and Gunn still thinks the Pioneers would have done better with him in the lineup.

“The team was ready to take off,” Gunn said. “I promise that if Evan had played last year, we could have won 20 basketball games.”

The unknown return date was the most frustrating for Booker, and Gunn thinks the constant setbacks during the recovery process was the most difficult part. He said it is especially hard for a talented player like Booker to keep a positive mindset.

“He’s a phenomenal player,” Gunn said. “So not being able to contribute with his teammates weighed on him along with him not knowing if he could ever be the same on the court.”

While missing most of the season was painful for Booker, he was still able to take away some important lessons. He even said his love for basketball has grown.

“I became way more grateful for when I am on the court,” Booker said. “I can appreciate the game more after going a whole year without it.”

It is now a new chapter for Booker and the team, and goals have already been set. Booker wants to see Kirkwood win their conference as well as win the rivalry game.

“Beat Webster,” Booker said. “We haven’t done it since I’ve been here so I really want to get that win this year.”

Being a varsity member for three years, Booker thinks it is time for him to step up as more of a leader. The 2013 Pioneers only have two seniors, so some leadership will need to come from underclassmen. Teammate Ben Paese thinks Booker has the potential to lead because of his likability, not just his on the court abilities.

“The whole team respects Evan,” Paese, junior, said. “Everyone gets along with him so we can all learn from each other.”

Some of that respect has come from the fact that Booker has started on varsity since his first game as a freshman. In 2011, Booker played center. Now, two years later, he has made the transition to small forward by working on his shooting and ball handling.

According to Gunn, the biggest strength in Booker’s game is the way he seems to make everybody else on the team better. Gunn said his value to the team goes beyond the number of points he scores.

“Even if he doesn’t score a single point, he makes us so much better defensively,” Gunn said. “Although he’s one of our taller players, he has the ability to dribble and play like a guard at times.”

Continuing to play basketball in college is something Booker looks forward to. He already received an offer from Maryville University, and numerous other schools have expressed interest.

“Hopefully this year I can break out and get more offers,” Booker said. “Playing in college has always been a dream, so it’s definitely one of my goals.”

Gunn also believes Booker has the potential to be a Division I basketball player. It is his unique skill set, Gunn said, that should enable Booker to reach his goal.

“I certainly believe Evan will play at the next level. It’s just a matter of where,” Gunn said. “With his work ethic and talent, the sky is the limit.”