The Ravens will win the Super Bowl

The Ravens will win the Super Bowl

The Baltimore Ravens season has been defined by low expectations and the impending retirement of Ray Lewis. To reach the big stage, the Ravens had to get past three powerful teams. First, they had to defeat a dangerous, Indianapolis Colts team, then survive a high scoring nailbiter against the No. 1 seeded Denver Broncos. Finally, in the AFC Championship game, the Ravens came back in the 2nd half to dominate a historically dominant Patriots squad.

Over this postseason, the Ravens erased their doubts. Joe Flacco is playing superb football, showing that he can accurately throw the ball far downfield. A talented offensive line gives Flacco time to work while an efficient running game keeps defenses guessing. Although inconsistent throughout the season, Joe Flacco has eight touchdowns and no interceptions so far during the postseason. One more win, and he will join the ranks of the elite in my book.

Ray Rice is arguably the best all around running back in the league. His ability to squeeze through tight holes, get out of tackles, and even line up as a receiver makes him a game changer.

The receiving corps also had a breakout season. Anquan Boldin seems has found his mojo this year, making acrobatic catches left and right. Torrey Smith also had a breakout season, using his blazing speed to take advantage of Flacco’s strong arm. Receiving tight end Dennis Pitta is underrated and Jacoby Jones adds another layer to the mix with his ability to get open down field.

A smart man knows football games are won in the trenches, and this is where the advantage shifts to San Francisco. The 49ers have a dominant offensive line and boast a 5.1 yards per carry rushing average since Alex Smith was benched. This line gives Kaepernick time to throw and the chance to scramble if needed. The Ravens offensive line is still good, but it will be tested by the 49ers.

The 49ers defensive line is also a wall. Featuring Justin Smith, they rank 4th in run defense and consistently put pressure on opposing quarterbacks. Though the Ravens defense is still solid, injuries and old age have ended this groups golden age.

In order to win this game, the Ravens need to contain dual threat Kaepernick and shut down the passing game to make the 49ers a one dimensional running team. This should be easy with Michael Crabtree and Vernon Davis being the only real reliable receiving options.

The Ravens also need to evolve their game plan. The Atlanta Falcons didn’t adapt against the 49er. and they got burned. Lastly, Flacco’s success is directly based on the relevance of Rice. If the Ravens keep Rice relevant, Flacco will succeed. If the Ravens follow these keys to the game, it looks like Lewis will retire as a champion.