Social media in sports

The Collision of Social Media and Sports

The relationship of social media and sports has gotten to an all-time high.

Storified by · Sun, Feb 03 2013 10:14:30

With the rising growth of social media, along came the evolution of sports coverage.  Before there was twitter, apps, or facebook, fans didn’t get news about each of their favorite teams thirty seconds after it breaks.  Twitter provides instant coverage of everything revolving around the sports world, and keeps users well informed of any news involving their teams.  Along with prompt updates, Twitter allows fans inside access to their favorite sports figures, including athletes, coaches, and analysts.  Whether its watching the 20 year-old heisman winner, Johnny Manziel, joke with LeBron James, or it’s Nyjer Morgan yapping about the Cardinals after a brawl with Albert Pujols and the rest of the team.

Where still n 1st and I hope those crying birds injoy watching tha Crew in tha Playoffs!!! Aaaaahhhhh!!!Nyjer Morgan – T Dot
Alberta couldn’t see Plush if she had her gloves on!!! Wat was she thinking running afta Plush!!! She never been n tha ring!!!Nyjer Morgan – T Dot
Fans get direct insight on any and every bizarre occurrence involving their teams.  After the 2013 BCS Championship, there was a lot of buzz on Twitter surrounding Alabama’ quarterback’s AJ McCarron’s girlfriend, Katherine Webb, who was shown on camera throughout the game.  Several people tweeted about Webb, who turns out to be Miss Alabama, but the most interesting series of tweets were between Georgia quarterback, Aaron Murray, and McCarron himself.
Aj McCarrons girlfriend needs to become a Dawg fan #dawgsontopAaron Murray
@aaronmurray11 u don’t win enough bud!! #15AJ McCarron
Whether it be trash talk, or just two athletes having a normal conversation, Twitter brings fans insight on athletes like never before.  There have been several odd moments involving social media when it comes to sports, but the most bizarre occurrance sports fans have been able to witness was the Manti Te’o story.  In early January, reports started to come out involving the details of Te’o’s ‘girlfriend’ who had reportedly died of Leukemia on November 12th, 2012.  Manti Te’o had an online relationship with “Lenay Kukua” for over three years, but had never met her in person.  When the confusion surfaced, Te’o lied and said he had met her in order to refrain from being embarrassed in front of millions.  On January 16th, news broke that Te’o was a victim of a hoax, and that the girl never existed.  Ronaiah Tuiasosopo was the man behind the joke, and said he would go on myspace and try to find people to play the ‘game’ on.  Tuiasosopo would fake a voice on phone calls and used a friend’s photos to appear to be a real person.  The story blew up on social media sited everywhere. ‘Te’o-ing’ became the act of taking a photo with an imaginary person.
Mark Twain hanging out with Manti Teo’s girlfriend. #Teo #Nature #Literature #Twain #Teoing #Statue #Art #Sculpture #FunnyChris Apaliski
@LennayKay I miss you!Manti Te’o
Social media played a large part in the hoax.  Tuiasosopo found Te’o on Facebook, and interacted with him through e-mail, texts, and twitter.  Without the rise of social media, there aren’t stories like this.  There aren’t arguements between players, coaches, and teams that fans can watch.  There have been many interesting conflicts in sports the last few years due to the upcoming of technology and social media, and sports fans everywhere are loving it.