Athlete of the week: Jake Lowry

Athlete of the week: Jake Lowry
Courtesy of Jake Lowry

Jake Lowry, senior, started wrestling for Kirkwood his sophomore year, but with the season over he can now focus on his true sports passion: baseball.

This year was Lowry’s first on the varsity wrestling team. He missed all of last season due to a lingering torn labrum injury that he had received playing baseball.

Lowry qualified for the state tournament which will be held at Mizzou.

While he was happy to get back to wrestling this year, he is even more so to get back on the baseball diamond.

“I like wrestling”, Lowry said. “But I’m not the greatest wrestler and you need to be great to wrestle in college. But wrestling is a great way to get in good shape for baseball.”

Lowry signed with Southwest Tennessee Community College to play baseball after he leaves the high school.

Lowry currently plays first base for the Pioneers, and has been on varsity since his junior year.
“I like first base because it is a power position”, Lowry said. “And as a leader of the team i like that I am able to talk to almost everyone on the field and especially the pitcher if he needs a pick me up.”

Lowry has had a lot of great games while playing baseball for KHS, but one sticks out above all the rest.

“Last year beating Webster at districts”, Lowery said. “That was an awesome time.”