So you think you know Beau

October 18, 2013

Just like any student, he drags himself out of bed early in the morning, heads to school and endures the day ahead of him. The similarities, however, stop there. For Beau Bramlett sports never stop. After school he has cross country for two hours followed by hockey for an hour, twice a week.

“By the end of the day I’m dead. I take a shower then I go to bed,” Bramlett, sophomore, said. “But after days I have both cross country and hockey I feel accomplished.”

At 2:40 p.m., most students head home from seven hours of school, but Bramlett’s day has just begun. Monday through Friday, sometimes in intense heat or pouring rain, Bramlett runs cross country. Two hours of hustling through Kirkwood in small groups prepares Bramlett and his teammates for seven meets dispersed throughout the season, with potential for three more depending if runners qualify for the district championship.

beau3

“Beau has evolved and is continuing to evolve as a runner. I have high hopes for him as he continues forward with cross country,” Wayne Baldwin, cross country coach, said. “I think Beau has the potential to be a top-seven varsity runner for the Pioneers.”

In Kirkwood’s first two meets, Bramlett medalled twice, placing 14th at the Jackson meet Sept. 7 and 15th at the Stan Nelson invitational Sept. 14. Following the end of practice, the vast majority of the 59-member cross country team’s days end. Not for Bramlett. Four hours later he returns to sports, this time in the rink. Tuesdays and Thursdays Kirkwood’s hockey team practices from 9:15-10:15 p.m.

“His determination for his size sets him apart,” Charlie Klapp, JV hockey coach, said. “Beau is a smart little player, plays several sports, I know.”

The left winger began playing hockey when he was 4 with Kirkwood Youth Hockey Association and has not stopped since. Bramlett scored two goals last year for JV.

beau4

“The guys on the team support him, and he supports them. It’s a win-win,” Eric Eagon, sophomore and JV and varsity defenseman, said. “I think his high school future is promising.”
With players ranging well over 6 feet tall and 200 pounds, size definitely matters when it comes to hitting Eagon said.

“Smaller players might get injured or maybe a concussion depending on the hit,” Eagon said. “But if you are agile enough, like Beau is, you can dodge some [hits].”

In cross country long legs are considered great assets, however, and Baldwin said he has seen runners under 6 feet who worked hard and were highly successful.

“I’ve seen a lot of different sizes and shapes of cross country runners,” Baldwin said. “They tend to be taller, leaner, but Beau certainly fits the model of a cross country runner. He is at a size that if he does the work and training he needs to do, he can become a champion.”

beau2

Playing two sports at the same time, in addition to marching band and running track in the spring, Bramlett said that his life isn’t too busy. He takes an IP where he works on school work, which includes two honors classes. Even so, according to Bramlett, he procrastinates 90 percent of the time.

With much of his time consumed, Bramlett still finds a reason to live the life he does. Pure enjoyment of the aspects that make him who he is.

“I feel like there will be a payoff in the future,” Bramlett said. “But right now it helps me stay on top of things.”

View Comments(1)
$1030
$500

$1030
$500

• Z

Zen BagunuApr 8, 2016 at 9:52 pm

OMG IT’S BEAU!

1