Ella Sottile

Khamori Cornelius takes a shot in the girls varsity basketball game against Oakville.

Khamori Cornelius

Khamori Cornelius’ passion for basketball began in fourth grade. Instantly, she enjoyed how she could go out on the court with her team and just have fun. Little did she know that seven years later, as a junior, she would want to continue her basketball career and get offers at the collegiate level.

“You have to really trust the process and trust your coach,” Cornelius, 5-foot-8-inch junior small forward said. “Something I really needed to learn was to trust the process, trust the coach and not get frustrated because everyone is just trying to help me, not harm me.”

When the game is on the line, Cornelius, averaging nine points, five rebounds, and two blocks, likes to stick to a rather simplistic approach, remembering to stick to the basics and take everything one step at a time. She said that this mindset has contributed to her success.

“I just try to remember to play the same way, don’t change anything and be aggressive,” Cornelius said. “It can be hard sometimes. I try to keep a positive attitude every time I step out onto the court.”

Cornelius said playing basketball has not only taught her skills on the court, but has also had an influence on the person she is today outside of basketball.  She said basketball has taught her about dealing with her emotions and perseverance.

“My biggest accomplishment is not being as frustrated as I used to be. I have become more calm, actually slow[ing] down to take my time and focus[ing] more on the court,” Cornelius said. “[Basketball] has also made me a better person. It keeps my mind off things and keeps me pushing.”

With her long-awaited senior season approaching next year, Cornelius looks to receive offers, and hopefully scholarships, from Division I schools. She hopes that one of those offers comes from her dream college.

“My dream is to play for [the University of Connecticut] so I’d be happy if I got an offer there,” Cornelius said. “But if not, I’m fine with whatever offer I get. I just want to play.”

$1030
$500