Marilynn Steuby

Devon Bennett doesn’t want you to call him a SoundCloud rapper.

Devon Bennett

Undecided

Audio Engineering

“I can’t be mad at anybody,” Bennett, senior, said. “But I feel like people have this idea of what it means when I say I make music. But then they hear it, and they understand [it a little more].”

The soon-to-be KHS graduate has been making and releasing music since he was in middle school, with his two biggest hits racking up 13,000 and 6,000 listens on Spotify alone. Bennett, who goes by Devo B as an artist, said he first got into rapping over beats ever since he was grounded in middle school, and with nowhere to go but home, he put his energy into making music. Now, he sees this as his career, with plans to move to Chicago and pursue a degree in audio engineering. 

I [could] never see myself working a nine-to-five or a normal desk job.

— Devon Bennett

“In the last two months I made $100 from streams on Spotify,” Bennett said.  “Which is funny because you could easily get that working a normal job. I know that’s not that much money, but it was crazy to know that my music has made me money,” Bennett said. “I [could] never see myself working a nine-to-five or a normal desk job. I really don’t want to wake up every day, put a suit on and go be some accountant.”

Bennett currently spends just three class hours at KHS before heading to classes in Design Entrepreneurship at SouthTech, which he spends making music. An after-school nap is usually in store for him after SouthTech, which allows his creative juices to get flowing after the sun sets, he said. Bennett is regularly working on his music late into the night, hoping the muffling curtains he’s put up will keep the house from waking up. 

“I’m not always crazy about the words he uses,” Moormann, Bennett’s mother, said with a laugh. “And I know some parents wouldn’t want their kid to be a musician, but I’m incredibly proud of him and I’m glad to see him pursue his dream of working in music.”

$1030
$500