Ella Sottile

Outside of KHS, Parker plays cello with the St. Louis Symphony Youth Orchestra (STLSO).

Luisa Parker

Case Western Reserve University

Chemical Engineering & Cello Performance

It starts with a single note. A woman with curly, brown hair draws one string across another to make a low, droning sound. The note crescendos into a harmony, a symphony, as dozens of people work in perfect coordination to make a mesmerizing accord of sounds. 

“‘Okay, we’re gonna have a three hour rehearsal with one fifteen minute break.’ We’re there to work, not to be nice to each other.”

— Luisa Parker

Throughout high school, Luisa Parker, senior, has maintained a rigorous schedule packed with AP classes and extracurriculars. Outside of KHS, Parker plays cello with the St. Louis Symphony Youth Orchestra (STLSO).

“I wasn’t very confident in myself when I was auditioning for the [STLSO],” Parker said. “I didn’t think I was going to get in, but I ended up being accepted. It’s great working with professional conductors, and we get to rehearse in Powell Hall, which is always a plus.”

Parker said her work at STLSO has given her more experience than a normal high school orchestra would. She says that less rehearsal time combined with more music to learn creates a professional environment.

“The orchestra teachers tend to give us a lot of leniency here at school, but with the city orchestra, they treat you like a professional,” Parker said. “They say ‘Okay, we’re gonna have a three hour rehearsal with one fifteen minute break.’ We’re there to work, not to be nice to each other.”

“She never backs away from a challenge, and I’ve seen her grow as a musician and a leader of her section, but also as a person. I hope that she continues to play music and continues to inspire others like she [has] inspired me.”

— Fariga Drayton-Conway

Parker has played cello since she was seven. KHS orchestra conductor Fariga Drayton-Conway has been teaching her for the past eight years, witnessing her growth as she mastered her craft.

“I am so proud of all of the hard work she [has] put in,” Drayton said. “She never backs away from a challenge, and I’ve seen her grow as a musician and a leader of her section, but also as a person. I hope that she continues to play music and continues to inspire others like she [has] inspired me.”

$1030
$500