Top five Christmas traditions

Caroline Darr
    Here are the top five Christmas traditions every family should start doing. 

The minute Thanksgiving dinner ends, everyone’s minds drift off to the Christmas season, eagerly awaiting the moment snow falls to the ground and counting down the days till  joyous Elves On the Shelfs appear and Christmas lists are made before Santa stops by. One of the best parts of Christmas is its traditions. Here are the top five Christmas traditions every family should start doing. 

See Christmas lights: One of the best ways to get in the Christmas spirit is to see Christmas lights. The bright lights are guaranteed to put you in a jolly mood with their festive appeal. My favorite place to see them in St. Louis has always been the carriage rides at Tilles Park or Candy Cane Lane. Get in your comfiest Christmas PJs, grab a hot chocolate and you’re good to go.

Visit Santa: This would not be a proper Christmas list without mentioning the person that best exemplifies the Christmas spirit. No matter how old you are, visiting Santa can still be fun. It’s a core memory for all kids growing up, and is a sure way to find the fun in the holiday. Santa can make anyone feel better. 

Have a Christmas movie night: Whether it is on Christmas Eve, or every weekend in December, having a tradition of watching Christmas movies is great. Watching movies like “Miracle on 34th Street”, “Christmas Vacation” and “Elf” are sure to connect the family. What better way to get in the Christmas spirit than cozying up under a cozy blanket?

Decorate a Christmas Tree: Each year, going to a Christmas tree farm like at the Farmers Market or Ted Drewes to pick out the finest tree around is full with many memories. One of the best parts of getting a tree is getting to decorate it. Filling up the tree with festive ornaments is a sure way to bond with your family over cute ornaments of the past.

Make a Gingerbread House: Making a gingerbread house is the best way to get settled into the Christmas season. Decorating the house is filled with fun food and joy. Picking out the most creative and pleasing candy is exciting. Leaving your finished house out for all to see is a great way to spread holiday cheer.