My Secret

January 15, 2015

courtesy of A Pondering Mind

Happy birthday, Dr. Hawking.

Imagine the fans of a boy band: screaming, fainting and possibly crying. Now take one of those girls and direct her screams instead to arguably the greatest living mind today. That’s me.

I have a secret: I am obsessed with Stephen Hawking.

Well, it’s not so much a secret as a half-secret. Many people know I am a fan of Stephen Hawking, but they don’t know the extent. This wonderful man is a theoretical physicist, author, cosmologist, and works at the University of Cambridge.

He has won the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the Albert Einstein Award and the Hughes Medal, to name only a few of his fourteen awards and honors. He is most famous for his theory on relativity, and that he has done all these things while afflicted with ALS.

Anyway, Stephen Hawking turned 73 Jan. 8, and I felt it was only right to wish him a happy birthday in the most public way possible.

Dear Dr. Hawking,

Happy birthday! You’ll probably never read this, but I may possibly be your biggest fan. My name is Chloë King, I’m sixteen years old and I’m an aspiring scientist. You inspire me. I have  watched your documentaries, your movie and your most recent lectures. I’m especially interested in your newest (public) theory on the nature of black holes. Every time I see or hear news related to you I get embarrassingly excited about it.

I think you’re really quite funny, which is something you don’t often see in the scientific world, and that’s really kick ass.

So, happy birthday, congratulations for being awesome. You’re my favorite.

Don’t tell Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Your most enthusiastic devotee,

Chloë King