Out of the spotlight, in their element

Why is there a glass elevator in the library? This well-known landmark catches the eye of anyone who enters library, yet most who pass by have no idea what it leads to. The winding staircase that follows Kirkwood’s Great Glass Elevator heads straight toward two classrooms belonging to students with disabilities in the Community Based Vocational Instruction Program (CBVI). Designed to provide job exploration through volunteer work training and functional learning instruction, the program’s main goal is to give students the right tools and training to be successful as working adults after graduation. When a new student enters the program, ninth and tenth grade years are spent mainly at school in special education teacher Chris Faller’s classroom. For eleventh and twelfth grade, the majority of their day is spent working at job training sites. Outside of the CBVI classes, students take three elective courses such as art and P.E.

Though many enrolled in the program are actively involved in KHS sports and activities, their time spent out of school at job sites and in their CBVI classrooms separate them from general education students for a majority of the day. The Kirkwood Call spent a week listening, interacting and learning from the 20 freshmen, sophomore, junior and senior CBVI kids. What we found was one of the most energetic, passionate and fun groups at KHS. Here is their story.

Starting off strong: freshmen and sophomores

Today’s lesson is variable and fixed expenses. A room full of 10 loud but enthusiastic sophomores and freshmen in the Pre-Community Based Vocation Instruction (PreCBVI) learn the basics of personal finance. More specifically, they learn the importance of essential survival items (needs) and occasional privileged items (wants). The cramped classroom makes the 10 students seem more like 20 to special education teacher Chris Faller, but with a group as excited to learn as PreCBVI kids, teaching there is the dream location for any educator.

Discussion of needs versus wants continues as Faller calls out item after item, asking the lively bunch to decide which category each fits. Freshman Mary Grace Smith’s feet hardly touch the ground while sitting in her desk, but her hand rises before anyone else.

Her answer will have to wait.

“I can’t talk if Meghan and Brittany are going to talk,” Faller says, shooting a stare toward the two overly social girls in the back of the room.

Both girls turn their head toward Faller with looks of guilt. But the tense mood does not last. It never does. Soon both Faller and her misbehaving students burst into giggles. For a serious learning environment, the kids keep things light. Faller can do nothing but follow.

As ninth and tenth graders, students enrolled in PreCBVI spend their first two years of high school learning the skills needed for their junior and senior years when many days of the week are spent working at real job sites such as T.J.Maxx and retirement community Manor Grove. Along with the upperclassmen, PreCBVI students go on several trips throughout the community to learn such living skills as reading bus schedules, using public transportation and ordering and paying for meals at restaurants around Kirkwood.

“They get a taste for what job skills employers are looking for,” Faller said. “All community experiences are there to help them with their future.”

Just as many general education students find their niche during the first couple of years at high school, the CBVI teaching staff tries to give the students as many real-life situations as possible to prepare them for life in the real world.

For now, the kids can still enjoy their time under Faller’s watchful eye.

When she walks down a KHS hallway, other students tower over sophomore Mary Donovan. While in the sanctuary of her class above the library, she always makes a remark that gets the whole class laughing.

“I said it first!” Mary yells as half the class blurts out an answer to another “wants and needs” scenario.

While some fight for their hand to be called on, freshman Daniel Houk can often be found calling to his red-haired, gently smiling friend Joey Mckinnon. Some of the time, Faller doesn’t catch on.

For homework, the kids are asked to make a poster with cut-outs showing different examples of variable and fixed expenses. What is now a fun assignment about choosing pictures of video games and sports equipment will soon turn into decisions about how to get a job and where to buy an apartment. Where most students upon graduating high school will still have four years to make up their minds about what to do with their lives, the Pre-CBVI kids are only a few years away.

With high spirits and hardworking attitudes, Faller’s class is ready for the challenges ahead.

From the classroom to the job site: junior year

Sitting on a white therapy ball, Rajah Williams holds the reputation of being the sleepy one in class. Dark dreadlocks spread out across the table, his forehead presses against the class reading assignment.

“Rajah has the white ball to stay awake,” Yvonne Hasenmueller, special education teacher and class ringleader says.

Teacher assistant Mary Jackson is quick to intervene.

“He can do it though,” Jackson says, referring to Rajah’s impressive ability of falling asleep while simultaneously bouncing on a rubber exercise ball.

The sleepy, bouncy-ball star cracks a smile. His grin extends halfway across the classroom. Meanwhile, Audrey Quirk high fives a curly-haired Matt Brecklin after he finishes reading the final paragraph of a short story. Brecklin’s red, afro-like hairstyle seems to expand on a daily basis. So does his heart. Gavin Das is quiet compared to the rest of the group. He is not one for the spotlight of his classmates, yet his hard-working attitude only adds to the unique characterization of the KHS eleventh grade CBVI class at KHS. The last member of the five-man team is Nick Kaminsky, who sports a David Villa, Spanish national team soccer jersey.  The red and yellow colors reflect his World-Cup-worthy dedication to schoolwork.

“Nick finishes everything early,” Hasemueller says as Nick hands over his latest assignment.

After reading a short biography on the Wright Brothers, each kid is asked to draw a picture and write a caption on something they had to try very hard to do. Audrey draws a picture of herself playing Frisbee golf (she was a national champion in 2009), and Gavin describes his first time doing archery. Nick, on the other hand, picks a more artistic subject.

“The hardest thing to do is to sing,” Nick’s caption reads. “If I want to be a good singer I have to practice, practice, practice.”

As the five juniors begin their first on-site job training program at T.J.Maxx Sept. 2, the hardest thing they have done may still lay ahead. There will be no more white balls to keep dozing readers alert. Just like many students who have recently discovered new responsibilities that come with being upperclassmen, Audrey, Nick, Matt, Gavin and Rajah are preparing to learn the job skills that will help them succeed in life. But for now, they can simply enjoy being in the company of each other.

Finding their groove: seniors prepare for new life

In the same room where Yvonne Hasenmueller teaches her juniors, Chris Faller, special education teacher, sends Grace Mehan to the front of the room for her current events presentation. Grace speaks to her peers with confidence and authority as she describes the article on Silly Bandz she brought from home. As Grace sits back down, Faller begins the article on a historical figure the class reads every Wednesday. Unlike her students, she starts reading the wrong passage.

“She always forgets everything,” Grace says as the class bursts in laughter.

Faller’s seniors constantly remind her of class agendas and activities. Typical for a group of 17 and 18-year-olds used to the same old routine. Mackenzie Carr may be the sweetest of the five, but she likes to keep things rolling. After reminding Alex to start reading a little too loud, Faller chimes in.

“You take care of you,” she tells Mackenzie more than once.

The warm-hearted senior simply releases a smile behind her glasses.

Sitting around the table, Grace finishes the last of a Diet Pepsi. According to Alex Jelks, the drink may have been too much.

“She talks a lot,” he says, giggling under his breath. “No more caffeine.”

After spending their junior year working at T.J.Maxx, seniors Moye, Carr, Jelks, Mehan and  House are beginning a new experience assisting residents at Manor Grove retirement home in Kirkwood.

“We are going to make you independent,” Faller tells the class, “so maybe one day you can live with a friend or on your own.”

There is no doubt the five seniors sitting in the room above the library begin to dream of that day. Whether they fear or long for it may be another story altogether.

“I am going to live by myself,” Grace announces to the class.

No one seems surprised.

Not every second of the CBVI kids’ days have been spent at job training or in the classroom, however,

Mackenzie is manager for the girls’ varsity volleyball team this year. “I’m their good luck charm,” Mackenzie says.

Grace is a four-year member of the girls’ field hockey C-team. Alex plans on joining Pep Club. Though it is Aaron’s first full year at KHS, he plans on joining Super Smash Brother’s Club, while balancing time with his basketball team.

The days are not far off when the CBVI seniors will begin new lives in the real world. The excitement of moving forward mixes with the urge to live out their final high school days to the fullest.

After learning how to make friends, get a job and get involved, come this spring, five seniors will be on their way to success.