The all-inclusive Tailgating Club parties in the parking lot

It is the favorite American pastime of many generations. It is just as essential to football games as a helmet. And if it were not for tailgating, there would be no other reason to show up three hours early to any sports game. This year the ancient tradition of games, grilling and chilling is being brought to KHS by the Tailgating Club.

The club unofficially started last year when a few friends thought it would be a good idea to start tailgating varsity football games. The Tailgating Club was recently sponsored by Christine Lindquist, senior class principal.

“I used to stop by last year when most of them were juniors,” Lindquist said. “It was so fun. Whatever games they’re going to be at this year, I’ll get there early.”

Lindquist participated in three of the club’s tailgates last year.

“Mrs. Lindquist is really funny,” Mary Kleiss, senior and Queen of Cupcakes, said. “She’ll also try all the food, even if it looks sketchy.”

Lindquist is not the only reason to attend one of the club’s gatherings.

“We grill, listen to music and hang out,” Adam Miller, senior and Baron of Burnt Food, said. “We also have a bean bag game and throw a football around.”

All of these events usually take place at varsity football home games, but with so few home games this season, the club plans on hitting the roads to tailgate away games as well. However, it is not a new journey. Before they were sponsored, the club went to a few away games. Organizing everyone for these games was the easy part.

“We’re all pretty good friends, so we’re together anyway,” Oscar Pietroburgo, senior and King of Meat, said. “There are passionate people who want to tailgate all the games, but that just can’t happen.”

Tailgating in enemy territory has not been much of a challenge to the club either.

“We co-exist with all the fans. Even rivals,” Miller said. “A cop confronted us one time, but he just reminded us to pick up everything.”

Food can be the deciding factor between good and bad tailgates. Expect to munch on hamburgers, hot dogs, bacon, brownies and cupcakes when attending one of the club’s many tasty tailgates.

“We all work together to make the tailgates happen,” Kleiss said.

Members of the club are experts at preparing and eating food in some of the harshest conditions possible.

“One year we came to a football game, and it was freezing cold out,” Pietroburgo said. “So we decided it would be a good idea to grill in the car. So we cracked the windows and smoke started pouring out of the car.”

Since most members of the club are seniors, it is unclear who will take leadership of the club after graduation.

“When I graduate the thing I miss the most will be the people,” Miller said.

Tailgating will always remain a massive part of sports, whether or not it continues at KHS. Along with practice for college, the senior members of the club will leave KHS with memories of smoke-filled cars, sub-zero temperatures and forgetting about school for a night.

“The club gives people with not a lot of athletic spirit a chance to come out and support the team,” Pietroburgo said. “I’ll miss the people, and of course the free food.”