Honors for Becker continue

While juggling his teaching duties and managing interviews, Bob Becker, chemistry teacher and this year’s Missouri Teacher of the Year, is also preparing his application to become National Teacher of the Year. The application includes questions about his teaching style and philosophy.

“Mine essentially involves keeping students involved with lots of lab activities and opportunities for the students to get their hands dirty and succeed,” Becker said.

Becker has been interviewed by organizations such as the National Education Association (NEA Magazine), the Webster-Kirkwood Times and his alma mater Country Day’s alumni magazine. Becker will also attend a meeting Oct 28 for a state-level committee, along with meeting previous Missouri winners.

In April, Becker will travel to Washington D.C. along with the other winners to meet the president, and the National Teacher of the Year will be recognized. On tap for the summer is an International Space Camp and a conference in Texas that all honored teachers will all attend.

“The recognition is great, but if you look at all the other teachers in the school everyone is deserving of recognition,” Becker said.  “I just lucked out.”