Students stepping from the hallway to the runway

Students may find themselves working at a drive-thru or restaurant barely making ends meet. But for four girls, their job is doing something they love and look good while doing it. They get to pose for a camera and model the latest fashions.

Lilly Karrer, sophomore, helps with selling Kdottie photography headbands and modeling clothes for the company’s online website. Her pictures can be found on the website, kdottiesphotography.com, or at dance stores in Downtown Kirkwood.

Although Karrer has only been modeling since the beginning of her freshman year, she seems to have a grasp on the industry.

“Honestly, you have to have it naturally and understand what you are selling while making the product look the best it can,” Karrer said. “Be comfortable in front of the camera. Be comfortable in your body or else you will be self-conscious.”

For Antonia Akrap, freshman, modeling has always been a dream. By watching America’s Next Top Model she learned techniques. Akrap has been in pageants and shows, and to her, the job is wonderful.

“It’s amazing to be able to step into a different character,” Akrap said. “Never give up; it is a hard industry, but if you are passionate about it, then stick it out.”

The struggles of the industry are mostly based on critics’ comments. One of Karrer’s friends went through a nose surgery to fix a bump she felt took away from her profile shots.

“If they are not going to accept you, then they are not worth your time,” Karrer said. “Your body is yours.”

Mikala Jones, junior, just started her modeling career two months ago but had always thought about it. Even though she just started, she has already experienced pressures from the industry and has advice for teens pursuing the industry.

“Be confident with the person you are, and never let anyone tell you that you are not something,” Jones said.

Megan McCarley, sophomore, started modeling in sixth grade after receiving post cards in the mail that asked her and her brother to join the agency. After realizing the agency was only out for her money, McCarley switched to a new agency, Talent Plus, and has worked with them ever since.

According to McCarley, if a blemish appears or if a model gets a hair cut, they must e-mail the agency immediately to let them know.

“[There are] little things you should not have to worry about but are forced to be,” McCarley said. “It is hard because everyone is looking for something different.”