Nerd Club brings out what is hidden behind the glasses

A stampede of students itching to give their inner geek an hour in the spotlight scramble to find a seat in Mike George’s classroom at precisely 2:50 p.m., Sept. 7. Nearly 50 aspiring members eagerly await the beginning of the meeting, excited for the opportunity to witness the birth of The Nerd Club.

“Being a nerd is a lifestyle choice,” George, science teacher, said. “Before, not many people would have joined, but now nerds are more comfortable being identified as nerds.”

Rosie Ruzicka, senior and founder of Nerd Club, believes the recent increase in students who take pride in being labelled a nerd called for the assembly of a special club.

“We have clubs relating to sports, philosophy, politics, service and everything in between but nothing for the nerds,” Ruzicka said. “To be honest, being a nerd isn’t what it used to be. People are open about their hobbies, proud even.”

Nerd Club was founded upon the ashes of the recently-disbanded Anime Club that began declining in popularity as soon as the card game, Yu-Gi-Oh, was introduced.

“People in Anime Club started playing Yu-Gi-Oh, and they would get really loud,” Michael Kierstead, senior, said. “It got to the point where no one could hear or focus on the Anime.”

After Yu-Gi-Oh tore Anime Club apart, Ruzicka, former member, created Nerd Club and asked George to sponsor it.

“[What happened to Anime Club] could never happen to us,” George said. “We could absorb it. It would make us stronger.”

The members of Nerd Club pack into George’s room once a week to participate in a variety of activities, including playing games such as Dungeons and Dragons, Risk and Munchkins, a traditional card game involving role play and the slaying of monsters. Participants have also enjoyed a week themed around Halloween, zombies and other ghoulish creatures. Nerd Club engages in serious discussions as well, including a debate about what it means to truly be a nerd.

“Nerds are socially nonconformist and generally intelligent, usually with a specialized interest,” Ruzicka said. “Geeks aspire to become nerds but lack the social skills.”

Boasting the slogan “ being a nerd is a badge of honor,” members feel at home among their fellow debaters, math lovers, video game addicts and those harboring deep obsessions with Monty Python, Lord of the Rings and Pokemon.

“I like that there is a variety of nerds there, from people you know to people you don’t,” Adam O’Donnell, freshman, said. “Everyone there has something to relate to.”

Relieved to find a club catering to his interests, Kierstead agrees.

“It is a social group I blend with,” Kierstead said. “There are so many unique, fun people, and I love the random atmosphere. I never know quite what is going on.”

Before George’s doors opened to the flock of self-acclaimed nerds, the new club was highly anticipated among students.

“This is something people have been wanting for quite a long time,” Ruzicka said. “Nerds are the untapped secret majority of Kirkwood High School.”

As a large crowd of members continue to turn out every week, Nerd Club has a promising future as more people come to terms with the nerd inside them.

“Most nerd stereotypes are true,” George said. “We don’t have any taped-up glasses or pocket protectors, though. I don’t know where that got started.”

[email protected]